Considering a 1993 F250 7.5L - what should I look for?

Hi,

Need to replace my 1989 F150 that was totaled a while ago.

Saw an immaculate 1993 F250 7.5L, 4x4, AT, long box Standard cab. Private sale asking $7,500 which seems high. I do not yet know the mileage, but the truck is very, very clean - only one owner with all records.

Never had a 4x4 before and know little about them. Some oil 'sweat' on the FWD differential ... if that's what it's called. Don't know squat about the 7.5L either except I bet the mileage is miserable. My F150 had the 4.9L I6.

Appreciate any tips or ideas. Thanks.

Nate

Reply to
N Williamson

That's 12 years old man! $3000 MAX if it's mint.

Steve Barker

Kelley Blue Book shows $5,805 - and that's at the 80,000 miles I used for input. Not sure how many it has, though I suspect it may be less.

Nate

Reply to
N Williamson

Outrageous amount of $$$$ for that truck....and you better own a lot of oil company stock 'cause your mileage w/ that will be scary.

For $7500 it better include a really nice boat!

Reply to
bomar

Depends on you location...

I've found that in areas that have a higher percentage of "new" cars, used cars don't hold there value as well. In areas that have a lower percentage of "new" cars, used cars seem to have inflated values. Depending on the condition and miles of that truck I would say its price should be between $3500-$6500. If it is above 80,000 miles, the value starts to dive, over

100,000 miles and you should be pushing the low end of my price range. For some strange reason people selling vehicles today no longer seem to consider over 100,000 miles "high mileage". I'm from the school of thought that because of the wear and tear and general rattling of the entire vehicle, 100,000 miles is certainly on the down hill side of a vehicles life. Over 100,000 miles is when all the repairs start being needed... This is spoken from a guy who has driven three of my own Ford trucks into multi-hundred-thousands of miles.

The 460 is an outstanding engine. Once you drive a good running 460 you won't settle for less power in the future. My 460 gets between 6-12 miles per gallon. For the last few years I was getting 12 very consistently, right now it is stuck a 9 and nothing I do seems to change that. :-) I've seen 6 mpg while towing my 10,000 pound 5th wheel in Nevada in the summer with air conditioner running and foot on the floor to keep from getting run over by the traffic flow. All my 300 in line 6 engines always got 12 miles per gallon.

Good luck

Reply to
351CJ

At one time I had a 78 Lincoln Town Car which had the 460 engine. I'd bought it used. After I replaced the vacuum hoses and stripped the carb down and rebuilt it I was getting about 15 in the city and 18 to 21 on the road depending on the speeds. A sweet engine indeed...hummed like a sewing machine.

Reply to
ceg