Coutanche

I believe someone posted a message about a Saab 9-5 with HOT against a Coutanche.

The name is familiar to me (Coutanche) but I just cannot place it. Is it a model of a manufacturer..Italian seems right but I am only vaguely recalling or else having a senior moment.

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

.....'Coutanche' doesn't ring any bells, but maybe you mean the Lamborghini Countach - Italian muscle car...? Have a look here....

Pidgeonpost

Dunno about 9-5 vs Countach but apparently a 9000 Aero would ( does ) out-accelerate almost everything in a 60-80 ? mph overtaking manoeuvre.

Grham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Lamborginhi is the manufacturer. Dunno if I spelt it correctly though. 8-)

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Malcolm William Mason at snipped-for-privacy@JHU.edu wrote on 26/09/2005 06:55:

Lambo ... and it's a Countach :)

Very retro close-up. There's one at the Car Museum in Batley, West Yorkshire (UK). I bet a 9-5 HOT would piss all over it, without looking at the specifications.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Later model Countach versions had 400Horses mid engined rear drive I think.

Depends on what definition of Piss on you use. On fuel economy certainly.

A 9k Aero and a 9-5 HOT Aero are good cars, and you can see to reverse, but they can't quite "piss on" those specs.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Production : 150 Chassisnr. : 112.0001 - 112.0300

Something not quite right about those numbers!

No but you'd be a little ticked off in your supercar to have this damn Saab Aero, not *that* far behind looking at any of the numbers.

0-60, 5.6 vs 6.7, on the road that's not that much, after 6 to 7 seconds to only have one second difference or thereabouts. At that speed we are nagged to leave a two second gap.

Then on the 1/4 mile, it's not that obscene either. On numbers alone, the Countach might have more HP but the torque isn't that high for the lower speed stuff, handy for the top speed but seriously, where can you sustain such a high top speed safely apart from the usual quoted places.

It would be a fun comparison to do, sure the Saab will lose but fun to see by how much/little depending on your point of view. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

You Got it! But how is Countach promnounced?

Count... tack?

Coon... tawsh?

Please excuse the phonetics.

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

Coon-tawsh

Reply to
James Sweet

Oh I agree. But 1.1 seconds to 60 might not sound much, but it can feel like a lifetime. I watched the top gear where an Evo kept up with a Murcialago. And yes I know they are both roughly 400bhp (FQ400 Evo), 4x4 and more modern.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Certainly it might feel like it in the seat of your pants but still frustrating for the faster car driver to look in his mirror and see that that family saloon isn't exactly still on the starting block. :)

They could have had some fun there and worked out which one would have arrived first at a destination 500 miles away given that the Evo was doing something like 8 mpg was it? Or was it even worse than that I forget. Regular fuel stops kind of kill the fun!

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Murci=E9lago -Spanish for bat (the animal). The car is named after a figh= ting bull=20 named Murci=E9lago.

--=20 MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '91 900i

Reply to
MH

I knew it was named after a fighting bull. But my spelling stinks,=20 especially non english words. I can usually get it enough for some one to get realise what I mean and=20 correct me.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Countach was a useless car. Far to wide and hardly any rear view visibility. The way you reverse it is by hanging outside the car and looking backward. A unique 80's iconic car, apart from that I remember you could also buy a lookalike kit car with a small engine. Maybe there was a Court case?

Reply to
Johannes

Thank you

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

Johannes wrote: " I remember you could also buy a lookalike kit car with a small engine"

That would be the Pontiac Fiero you're thinking of, I believe.

Reply to
Skyclad

Ah yes. I seem to recal something about Fieros tending to launch pistons out of the engine and catch on fire.

John

Reply to
John B

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, NeedforSwede2 at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 26/09/2005 22:40:

:)

Ah well ... I do get carried away when the heart takes control of the head!

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Which maybe is about the same amount of 9000 cars that have been modified to around 400 hp engines. I wonder which of those is the fastest?

Probably a 400 bhp 9000 will not lose.

Reply to
th

Wouldn't surprise me, I worked with a guy who had one of those piles, never did run right, eventually the transmission died and it sat in the parking lot at work for 3 months until they finally made him haul it out of there.

Reply to
James Sweet