Calibrating Turbocharger

Hello to all,

I read the following earlier: "I have a 9-5 aero -01. How do I calibrate the turbo system. With full throttle for about 20 sec? Between which rpm?"

This was the reply: "You find a longer steep hill. In 4. or 5. gear, drive with full throttle in the range from 2,500 - 3,500 rpm. Do this 3 or 4 times. The adaption takes place within 2,750 and 3,250 rpm. You need for the car to stay within that rpm-range for at least 4 seconds.

If you do nothing, the adaption will take automatically, but will need a longer time."

What is being accomplished here? I do not understand what is going on.

would someone please enlighten me.

Oh yes: My Saab 2000 9-5 Aero 115k miles

Thanks to all

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

"Malcolm William Mason" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hi Malcolm.

Your car has Saab's Trionic enginemanagement. This is one of the worlds most advanced engine control systems. It's an adaptive systems, which means it constantly "learns/reads" the driving conditions: Air temp (and moisture), hills/mountains, speed a.s.o.

If you for whatever reason disconnect the battery, the Trionic will reset to standard values. Once you start driving again, the Trionic needs to learn the driving conditions at new. This takes som time, where you might experince decreased performance. You can speed up the process, by doing as mentioned.

Do you get it?

Reply to
Henrik B.

Henrik,

You said you had a lot of Saab videos? How are they coming?

When can you get them to us?

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Hi Henrik,,

I am still bewildered.

What does it have to "learn" that is not pre-set at the factory?

By the way , do you have any idea as to what speed the auto will be at during a full throttle down hill 5th gear 3500 revs run?

Thanks

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

There's a lot of variables that can't be fully known by the factoy setup. i.e. type of fuel, tolerances in injector flow-rates and fuel-pressure, different exhaust fitments etc. etc.

The idea of using a hill is to keep the speed down. You drive up it, not down it.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

"Saab Guy" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com...

Nothing done yet.

When I get around to do it. ;o)

Reply to
Henrik B.

Another thing to learn is how you drive can be different than how others drive, where you accellerate/decellerate will be wildly different from your next door neighbor, wife, best friend, etc. It's unfortunate that there isn't some sort of NVRAM that will hold this information with a 9v battery or something to keep it from being lost every time the battery gets d/c'd.

Reply to
LC

Still it seems to me that doing anything other than driving normally would defeat the purpose of this feature. If it's intended to adapt to the way you drive, then drive and let it adapt. I don't see the logic in fooling it by driving differently initially.

Reply to
James Sweet

Henrik,

What Saab videos do you have?

Also, will they compliment what is on

It's been a few months now, that's why I ask.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Ah, but you probably only need the 9V battery! I've seen cigar lighter plugs with a 9V battery on a pigtail. You plug it in before removing your car battery and it keeps the computer memory alive. That's the theory, at least. Porsche owners use them to preserve the Bosch adaptive settings in their cars. Might work with the Saab system, too, if 9v is enough. Simple enough to rig up with some cheap parts and a

5-min soldering job.

Turubo

Reply to
Turubo

You want a diode in there too, otherwise the 12v car battery will be trying to charge the 9v and that can lead to leakage or rupture.

Reply to
James Sweet