Dead 1999 93

Hi,

Car worked fine this morning, drove to work, parked. After about 4 hours, went to go home, did not want to start. I tried boosting it, it doesn't even turn over. All the lights, radio, horn, locking system seem to work normally. No funny messeges from the SID or dash warning lights.

A few years ago the ignition cassette went, sudenly like today, but the engine was at least turning over.

Any ideas where should I start looking?

1999, Saab 93, B204L engine, manual, AC, about 236k

Cheers, Ben

Reply to
Ben

If by "turn over" you mean "won't crank"... two places to look. One is the cables going to the starter motor. Make sure there is power at the starter. The second place on a '93 Saab of your age is the ignition switch - they tend to wear out rather commonly. However, the failure mode is usually that they give a little trouble starting, or cause the car to die a few times when running, before dying entirely.

Reply to
me

Also, if you don't even get the starter clicking, a faulty neutral safety switch could be the culprit.

Reply to
jrh

jrh gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not with a manual box.

I don't know how accessible the starter is on that, but a direct feed to the small terminal on the solenoid should see the starter spinning. If it does, then there's a wiring or switch problem. If it doesn't, it's the starter.

Reply to
Adrian

Hi all,

Thanks for all your answers, it ended up being the starter, I found a good used one and I'm back on the road. The garage wanted to put in a new one - i told them at 240k...better let me find a used one...the new one was going to go for 480 CDN, I found a used one for 80 cdn at the local junk yard.

Best, Ben

Reply to
Ben