93 Camry - worn ignition interlock?

This problem sounds similar to "1990 camry starting problems" posted by Georgii2222 yesterday.

Turn key, no click, no noise, no crank. Strong battery, all electronics work fine so am thinking it's worn parts, but where? Could be the ignition switch, steering gear or shifter interlock.

Have tried newer keys, problem persists. But if you move the shifter to neutral, move the steering wheel side to side and then turn the key, car starts. Any ideas of where to start, how much trouble / cost to fix? Also, because of air bag, is this something that a "real garage" should handle? TIA, F

Reply to
fireant

Mine has 280k miles, so perhaps we share the problem. I've never found any definitive sequence of jiggles to get it started, though. If all else fails, I jump start it, which is what seems so bizarre to me.

Here's a story from the other morning. My wife was going to drive the Camry to work. She went out to start the car, but got nothing. We were already running late, and I got frustrated when I went out and turned the key and got jack. I beat on the steering wheel a few times, and in the process bent the horn or something, because it wouldn't stop honking. After massaging the horn for a bit, it stopped, and I put the key in the ignition and it started right up (just had to show it who's boss). The *extra* funny part, though, is that my wife said that the horn honked every time she hit a bump on the way in to work. Good times.

Jeff

Reply to
Georgii2222