Another "Phantom" shows up

You may recall that we got a '96 XLT for our daughter about a month ago. It has about 190K miles, but is in great shape and was well maintained by the original owner.

Last week, we drove it for about 20 minutes - no problem, ran great. After it had been parked and shut off for about an hour, I went to start it, it would crank (the engine would turn over) but it would not catch and run. While cranking it, the engine seemed to move more than normal, and sounded "funny". I initially thought the timing belt/chain had broken and went to get another vehicle.

When I returned after 30-40 minutes, it started just fine. Anyone with similar experiences? Any ideas of what to check? I did not notice if there was any particular combination of warning lights on when I was trying to start it.

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Ahnen

I've had this problem occasionally. What works for me is taking out the relay for the fuel pump and tapping it on its side a couple times, then reinserting it. Always starts after that. Also, when you start, turn the key to "on" for two or three seconds before turning it all the way to start.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gillespie

Had this on our 97 EB SOHV V6. Infuriatingly, the car would crank fine, but after the car had been stopped for a few minutes, esp on hot days, it just wouldn't catch and fire. Leaving it to cool off for an hour or so and it would fire up immediately. Bit of diagnosis (well, what else can you do when you're stranded in the middle of nowhere!) showed no spark at the plugs- so a fuel delivery issue was discounted. Long story somewhat shorter, it turned out to be the crank sensor (front of crank, toothed pulley, black plastic sensor butting up against pulley)- obviously a heat related malfunction of hall-effect gubbins. $14 from local autoparts place and no trouble in 18 months.

Please let us know how you get on.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Thanks for the suggestions. I've located the fuel pump relay, and it has the same numbers as the other two relays near it. Are they interchangeable?

Reply to
John Ahnen