drain 1993 5-spd

I want to change the oil in my C900 5-speed. The 93 does not have a drain plug. I know I have to pull off a cover and let it drip.

I've not yet crawled under the thing and looked so maybe the question has a big Duh! as the answer.

What is the best cover to remove for this purpose?

Reply to
Mac Townsend

Probably the back one, behind the differential. Easier to get to than the side cover. I've never had that tranny without a drainplug, so this is a guess.

While you're right there, check that your linkage taper pin isn't getting all wobbly.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Good point!! Thanks

Reply to
Mac Townsend

not suppose to change fluid in a standard . just add when needed. thats why there is no drain plug. good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

Don't bother with pulling covers off. Get a hand operated oil pump and put the intake tube into the trans filler hole. Make sure that the intake tube goes all the way to the bottom and suck away.

You can get these pumps at marine chandlers, I got mine here...

Don't waste your time and money on one of the 12V electric "oil extractor" gadgets that you can buy in some auto shops, they are crap.

Phuoc

Reply to
Phuoc Nghuy

I guess that gear oil in there will just last forever then? Or you can replace it when you take the gearbox apart to replace all the bearings and gears? I guess that would work... ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

never use red line tf or enyother oil expt for the saab oil like saab synthetic or 10w-30 moter oil look at thes link it wll help u

es

The Bentley manual does give the impression that the gear oil will last forever (not that I believe that). In my case, I had some work done on the drive axle which required opening the diff case for the first time since the car was new (1992). It was refilled with synthetic gearbox oil. I figure if the original mineral oil was fine for > 10 years, the synthetic oil should last at least that long.

John

Reply to
John B

My 5-spd is full of BG Synchroshift, which seems to be working just fine.

John

Reply to
John B