Saab noise

I have a 95 Saab 900S with a 4 cylinder non turbo engine. It has a noise that is making me very nervous. When the engine is first started cold it makes a noise very similar to an idler or tensioner with a bad bearing. Almost like a bad water pump bushing. I have removed the serpentine belt that drives all the other units and the noise remains. It sounds as though it may be coming from under the valve cover. Any ideas before I tear the engine out for examination? Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Timing chain maybe? Kind of a rattly, metallic noise, that changes directly with engine RPM? Or, is it a squealing or chattering noise, or how would you characterize it?

How many miles? Any remarkable service history?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Add to the above (hence posting in addition to Dave's msg):

Manual or auto gearbox? What happens once the engine is warmed up?

Could this be the tensioner for the serpentine belt?

did you run the engine with the serpentine belt removed and you say the noise remains?

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

What mileage has it covered ? Has it got a Saab service history ? My 9000 with about 170k miles on it sounds a bit rattly when cold but sounds sweet when warm.

You *have* been using synthetic oil in it haven't you ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What about hydraulic lifters pumping up?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar