Front Brake rotors

the only shop within 50 miles that will do my brakes can only get front rotors for no less than about $90. I found them here

for $46.29, Part Code: 4839320B. Is thisas good quality as what I would get at most auto shops? A few moments later...

I just realized that it was a genuine Saab part, those are about $90. Are the cheaper manufactured parts faulty? ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

No they are not faulty. eeuroparts.com is the lowest priced, highest quality, fastest shipping SAAB parts place on the web. I have done thousands of dollars of business with them and never been disappointed once. If you order the OE SAAB parts from them you get the exact same thing you would get from the stealership at double or treble the price. The aftermarket ones (scantech, etc.) are all OEM quality and are as good as OE.

No affiliation, yada, yada...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Front Brake wise, I can get either Brembo ($46.29) or Zimmerman ($59.88) vs Genuine Saab ($92.80). I could really use the savings, but I just spent $560 on new Michelin tires and wonder if I should start being cheap and compromising at this point. Anyone here ever used Brembo or Zimmerman???

~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

Yes. Zimmerman rotors (the non-crossdrilled ones) are excellent. They are made in germany and TUV certified. They are quite likely of better quality than OE SAAB rotors and will probably last longer since they seem less prone to warp. I would not hesitate to use them and actually have on several of my SAABs and BMWs in the past. I have not used Brembo disks and have heard some mixed reports on them. The may have more than one quality that they prduce, or the bad reports may have been for cross-drilled rotors. You should stay away from cross drilled rotors at any cost.

I would also recommend using the "PBR Deluxe" brake pads with them. These are so inexpensive you might think that they are of inferior quality, but that is not the case at all. They give excellent feel, wear well, are easy on the rotors due to a fairly soft compound, and leave almost no brake dust on your wheels. The only thing that I would not recommend them for is the track and / or very aggressive driving. In that case you would want a harder brake material. For normal street driving these cannot be beat IMO.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Both actually - excellent quality in either case. Surely you don't think Saab makes their own brake rotors? They are probably ATE or Brembo in a Saab box. I would certainly go for the Brembos.

BTW, I am quite convinced that Michelins are reputation over substance... I'm a HUGE fan of Kuhmo tires, cheap and very good.

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine

Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

I thin you are right. ATE as I recall. I know the calipers are because they are stamped ATE right on 'em.

Here, I would differ with you. I have some Kumhos for my Jeep Wrangler and also some low profiles for one of my other cars (a BMW 325i) which are wearing poorly and blocking up, but I put some on a SAAB 9-3SE I had and they drove like they were made from too hard of a compound. Damn things would spin like crazy with just a moderate acceleration. I forget which specific model they were, but they were Z rated, sop the compound should have been pretty soft.

Michelins *are* somewhat over-priced, but they are also consistently excellent tires. You really can't go wrong with them except in the pocketbook.

Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances...

-Fred W Londonderry, NH

Reply to
Fred W.

On the question of tyres...if your wallet will stand Michelins might I suggest you spend those hard earnt $s on either Bridgestone or better yet Yokohama tyres. I have run on both (can't remember the types but they would have been premium tyres with a V or Z rating) and they are both superb. The Bridgestones wore a bit better but the Yokos were utterly superb in the wet...more or less like driving on a dry road.

Michelin on the other hand (and i used to work for them many years ago) tend(ed) to wear extremely well but the were shit in the wet. I have not bought Michelin tyres since the 70s....maybe times have changed. The one thing you can say for Michelin however is that the quality of manufacture is probably the highest of any tyre company in the world. Aside from making tyres, they used to be the worlds No 1 supplier of the the steel reinforcing wire that is used in the manufacture of modern radial tyres. Tricky process ...making the wire...no one could ever make a product as good as Michelin made.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul Brownjohn

No. The box costs less !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That's good to hear. I haven't done a brake job in 10 years and am considering attempting it on this car (97 900SE), mostly just to become more self sufficient but also to save some $$$.

They are expensive. But I have to say, it's been pouring here in GA the last day or so and these things stick to the road like glue. Of course compared to the bald suckers that I had, anything is an improvement. ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:54:34 -0500, Fred W.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

ya-but... That's an antique car, Dave!! I would not have really even expected them to list anything that old...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:41:14 -0500, Fred W. > fixing a '78 99 Turbo at the moment. (snip tail of woe)

Which is fine if it's not listed, the biggist irritant was them shipping short and not notifying me, and then their "customer support" person's flippant attitude of "I don't know and I can't be bothered to find out".

No excuse to ship short and not notify the customer so they can make other plans.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

I have to agree with yor rant above, Dave. I recently ordered brake rotors for my not so antique 1999 9-5 from eEuroparts. They also did not inform me that they were not in stock. (The pads arrived on time) In fact when I called customer service and asked I am almost certain he lied to me when he said they were shipped yesterday. He said the web site probably just didn't update properley. Well wasn't it interesting when I got the email from fedex that night saying they just got the "preshipment" data from eEuroparts and my expected delivery date was tomorow. So I dont think they were completely honest. To be fair I have used them twice since then and all parts have arrived as promised. (They are fairly close to me so I get delivery next day without paying extra.)

Reply to
DrDan