What does this dashboard light mean on my petrol Clio?

Hi,

I've posted this one before but since then, I have a bit more info.

There's a strange light that appears on the instrument panel when I turn the ignition key. It goes out after a few seconds. There's a slight humming noise from under the bonnet at the same time.

A few weeks ago, the light did not come on and go out. The car would not start. The engine would turn over. The light is not the imobiliser light.

It did it again today (last time I had to wait a day or so and it fixed itself). This time, I pushed all the fuses in firmly and it worked. (I only thought of the fuses after leafing through a haynes manual at Halfords - it didn't mention the light or I might have bought it).

But - this is really strange - the same symbol appears on the key for the fuse box. And - there's no fuse there!

It's the top right symbol in the picture here -

The electrics are a bit strange on that car. The heating fan and radio will stay on even when the ignition is off.

Anyway - what is that strange light for? Why is the fuse missing but it still works?

Cheers.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Smithson

This is quite normal.

It's an unusual symbol; is it in the handbook? Does this age Clio have two warning lights - one the standard "take me to the dealer, I'm killing the trees" emissions control, and another "I could be working better - take me to the dealer" option?

It might be something like a battery health check or perhaps a battery overheat, but the real point of my message is to see if you have checked with Renault? If the dealer you currently use doesn't know, change dealer...

Reply to
DervMan

Bog standard Renault Engine Managment light. Depending on age, it can be either the only EML, or the supplementary EML with the accepted Engine like symbol for emmision related faults (I think - might be the opposite way around!)

Just because there's no fuse in the fuse box means nothing. The fuse is probably for only certain engine ECU set-ups, but it'll be a standard fuse box label.

Only way to find out why it's staying on, is to get the fault codes read.

Reply to
moray

that fuse is transmission control

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It looks like a waveform to me and my first guess was computer control /engine management. The low amperage fuse was also pointing that way too. All the other things I could think of were covered with other fuses. I suppose it could have been trying to suggest the Radio as with radio waves, but that seems even more obscure and the little waves do look rather like timing pulses and not a sinewave shape. Very odd symbol I must agree. I bet the wiring diagram for those cars is a bundle of fun and filled with even more weird symbols ;-((

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Strange thing is that it works after I've fiddled with the fuses (by the way - it doesn't stay on, it just doesn't come on briefly and then go out. It just stays out).

I think I'll pull out fuses until I find which one controls it. If it happens again, I'll twiddle just that fuse.

Cheers.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Smithson