Get me the President of Saab !

OK... I've discovered a very, very serious problem. The SID display in my Saab will not go below 0.F. It's -3 degrees F now, and the SID just stopped at 0. I thought it might be ambient engine heat keeping it up a little, but after a half hour on the highway, it's still at 0.

This is an outrage!!! They better give me a loaner while they fix this problem.

:-) Bob

PS. -8F expected tonight here. I think I'll stay up just to go outside and sample it. MIght be a "once in a lifetime" opportunity.

Reply to
Bob

Even worse, I have discovered that the engine temperature in my car will not show below 0 K.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Hm, mine only goes down to 4.7 K. Spent too much time working on superconducting magnets, I think.

Dave "And, I can find North without a compass" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
meld_b

get it calibrated at the SAAB dealer on the tech 2

also tell them to take the dead spot out of the temp guage

Mark

Reply to
Mark Plumlee

I understand there's new model (the 9-5 CERN edition) that will read down to 0K.

The nav system is pre-programmed with all the parking lots at Fermilab.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Freeman

Degrees Kelvin... That's -273 degrees Celcius. And that's really cold!

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm Mason

Hey, My old 1992 9000 Griffen went down to -7 the other morning at 6 a.m.

Suggest to get an old 9000!!!!

Oscar

Reply to
ROBERT JOHNSON

True, but -273 Centigrade (celsius) is the same thing.

Most people aren't used to thinking of their normal temperature as somewhere around 300 degrees.

You can also say 0 degrees absolute, Iirc.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

No DEGREES in Kelvin. Its an absolute scale so its just plane ol' Kelvin.

Tony Ottawa - where its current 250K

Reply to
Tony Curran

Reply to
meld_b

Would that be degrees F,C,K or R.

By the way Kelvin is the absolute- zero- based scale based on the old Centigrade (now Celcius)scale using the temperature at which molecular activity was then thought to have ceased and I believe that is now sort of, more or less, almost, practically, about stopped. And it very much has degrees . One Kelvin degree is one Celcxius degree just as one Rankine degree is one Fahrenheit degree.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Mason

While we are all being so erudite, IIRC 0 degK == -273.12 degC.

And why can't Saab do something about the way entropy keeps on increasing?! Call themselves car makers?? *phui*

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

So far, so good, more or less, but then:

One _Kelvin_ is the same temperature difference as one Degree Celcius, but it's a Kelvin, it's not a "degree Kelvin".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I have seen -27C on a 900 from ´94 so... there should be something wrong

"Bob" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
gert-jan verdegaal

Reply to
User

Harvey White wrote

The official SI name is Celsius. See the SI website:

Pat Norton

Well if yer gonna pick nits:

  • It's one degree Celsius, not Celcius, and
  • It's not a _Kelvin_, but a _kelvin_, no caps.

See e.g.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

I'm puzzled. (Well, actually, I'm Andrew Stephenson; but we'll let that pass, as they can't touch you for it.) Maybe one ought to go look at that page whose URL you so kindly provided. OTOH, doing so involves procedures I don't have time for now. And as there's no guarantee I'd be any the wiser...

Point is: IIRC, the two units are named for Anders Celsius and Lord Kelvin. Both were/are proper names. Wherefore therefore the inconsistent loss of initialisation? We write/talk of amps (Ampere), volts (Volta), farads (Faraday) and many other safely buried worthies. Seems we should w/t of "celcius" and "kelvin".

Or was that covered in the footnotes?

(This thread is fun.)

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Presumably to distinguish the unit from Kelvin Klein :) There is also 'ampere' without capitalisation. There seems to be a consistent pattern such that the full name is without capitalisation and the abbreviated symbol name uses the capital. Therefore it is: 'degree Celsius' (first letter is lower case).

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen