Darned radio CODE problem

I guess because I'd forgotten and guessed wrong a few times, my radio doesn't put up the CODE request when I hold down the Band button for a great while. It just beeps and beeps.

Is there some magical key combination that overrides this intransigence and lets me put in the correct CODE?

Or would doing something like disconnecting the appropriate fuse, then reconnecting it gain me forgiveness?

Reply to
Willie Williams

The code is on a plastic card. Since the code is only needed on rare occasions, make sure to keep the code card together with your car papers. Once I had my car back from the garage: "Oh by the way we disconnected your battery, just type in your radio code again..."

Anyway, as a guess, try to disconnect the battery for a while, then try again. If it fails, then possibly the dealer can trace the code.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Try; disconnecting the fuse; or disconnecting the battery for several hours, or just waiting 24 hours.

Reply to
Bob

From

time power to the radio is interrupted (dead or disconnected battery, orradio removed), a security code must be entered to re-enable the radio. Ifyou don't know the code, go to a Saab dealer and show proof of ownership ofthe car, give them the vehicle identification number and ten bucks or so andthey should be able to provide the code for you. You might want to take theradio along too.

If you enter the wrong code and the radio refuses to work and doesn't ask for the code again, press and hold the "Band" button for five seconds until "CODE" appears and then enter the correct code. THANKS to Jerry C for that one.

Thanks,

-Dima

Reply to
Dima

Willie,

If only we knew what year and model Saab you have, this would be easier to answer. I am going to assume that you have a NG900 or a newer 9000 model.

You had 3 shots at putting the code in before it locked up. After that the radio must be on for at least one hour. Then you will get only one shot to enter the correct code. If you fail you must leave the radio on for another hour and then you get one more shot at it.

To make sure you have the correct radio code, you will have to pull the radio and obtain the "PU" code and the RADIO (not car) serial number. These two pieces of info can be used by a dealership to get the correct code.

Good luck, Steve Crowe, Master Saab Tech, snipped-for-privacy@citlink.net Harpers Ferry, WV

Reply to
Steve Crowe

I do not have my owners manual for the radio---not the car---- in front of me but as I recall having read in my manual essentially what has been said about waiting AT LEAST one hour afterthree (I thought that is was four) incorrect entries and I am sure that my instructions said that the ignition key must be in the "on" positionand, I believe that the radio must be left "on" too. Then you get, I think, one try with the correct CODE. Or you wait another hour.

I had it happenon a previous radio sevweral times. It was going bad. And it can be done while the car is being driven.

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm Mason