GM posts $1.1 billion loss

Kiplinger predicts there is a 50% chance that either Ford or GM will be no more in 10 years time.

Reply to
dxyzc

I would guess GM. Ford seems to do a better job with trucks and has always appeared to maintain a better market share. GM has closed divisions (Oldsmobile) in an attempt to cut their losses.

I must say that I would not miss them...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Hi matt Gm has over 36 billion in cash in there coffers. In addition they have another 14 billion in there insurance fund which they are allowed to tap at any time. Dont count gm out yet all the car companies are having bad times. But when it turns and gas starts coming down they will bounce back bigger than ever. Im sure there next qt will be better. In the meantime watch there stock its a good buy right now and its paying a 7.8 % dividend sincerely papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

It's paying a dividend when they make a profit. Things don't look good in the near term; especially the healthcare costs. I really think GM has to change its marketing and product development. The upcoming Solstice and Sky may be a good sign if there are no quality problems. I think with the right attitude GM can bounce back.

dxyzc

Look here for their stock price.

Stock price has dropped over 50% over the past year, from a highest $50.04 to a lowest $24.67, dividend was $2/share.

( "billion" here is a US billion; $1000 000 000, not $1000 000 000 000 - fortunately)

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '91 900i 16

MH

Yes Gm will have to get more competitive but I think you are right mh gm will bounce back With some luck sincerely papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

I wonder if GM will again distribute some of their stored cash in a dividend even though it is going to lose money this year. This is one company am going to be watching for stock buying opportunity. If it dips below 20 and they reduce some HR costs and start marketing better, I may buy. GM just has to stay away from junk bond status at all costs (no pun intended).

Reply to
dxyzc