Head gasket change

I changed my head gasket this summer, just thought I should share the pics from the event with you. It was pretty straight forward, required no special tools besides the inverse torx for the head bolts, and was pretty easy since I had no turbo or AC that had to be moved. My mechanical experience up to this point had pretty much been rotating tires, installing stereos, changing spark plugs and installing stereos, so I am pretty satisfied with myself. Have driven almost 4000 km since the work was done, and the engine compartment is perfectly dry.

I followed the outline in the Haynes manual, but it got a bit sketchy around what to do with the chain. I finally took the chance to remove the sprockets and place the chain carefully down into the engine block. Worked just fine.

Pics are at

, comments are gladly accepted.

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

Kristian,

I see you're running Linux; I have a script to turn a bunch of images into a graphical page like this:

If you want the script, let me know and I'll mail it to you. It's a shell script which requires ImageMagick (try /usr/bin/convert -version ), and if you or anyone else would like it, drop me a note.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"Dave Hinz" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

I am a Windows man with all my heart, but my webhost is running linux, which is just fine by me, it seems to have more practical solutions for cheap webhosting then windows-based solutions. I have a similar php-script which turns all images in a directory into a thumbnail gallery. Tried it just now, seems like it has a problem with the gasket pics, so I'll just leave the directory "open" for now.

So, what do you think of my engine compartment, my car and my work on it? Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

Yup.

Fair enough.

Well, this:

a whole lot better than this:
Nice car. Where in Norway are you? I've got some friends in Ringebu, some in Ringsaker...

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"Dave Hinz" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

I must say that I was pretty pleased when the top finally was on and I had cranked the engine around twice, and everything lined up perfectly.

I alternate between Tromsø and Honningsvåg (North Cape), depending on studies, work or vacation. Currently in Tromsø. We've had two inches of snow the last 24 hours, got the snowtires on just in time. I broke the tyre iron in my Saab toolkit (complete toolkit wanted (amongst other things) if someone is parting out a 9000), the guy at Ford broke his socket, but a 150 kg mechanic with a heavy-duty socket on a massive arm with an extra extension at my Saab shop finally got the damn wheel bolt out.

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen