87 Saab 9000 slave cylinder repair costs?

Hi, I was looking at possibly buying a '87 Saab 9000 with 114k miles on it. The only problem is the the slave cylinder needs to be replaced. My question is how much would it cost to have someone do it for me, and how hard is it to do yourself?

Reply to
joelacer

I think book time is around 6 hours. Takes me best part of a Sunday, and quite a few beers. It isn't hard, but you need to remove the gearbox to get to it, and there are lots of things in the way of removing the gearbox.

Reply to
Grunff

And of course you change the clutch and pressure plate once you have the gearbox out, and as long as the driveshafts are out you change the CV joint boots and maybe even the CV joints if they show signs of being worn.

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

And you might as well degrease and touch up the engine compartment...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

And the pilot bearing and the crank seal.

Reply to
Grunff

Are you implying that my engine compartment is not in perfect condition at any given moment?

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

If it is always in perfect condition, I invite you to come over and do same to any of my Saabs any time you would like.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Especially the pilot bearing

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

Kinda reminds me of replacing the starter motor on a Rover 2000 TC ( P6) that I owned around 1980.

You start by draining the cooling sysytem !

Managed it in 4 hours once !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear