Headlight problem

Anyone know of a problem with the NG's having headlight issues? Every couple of months I have to replace mine. I have a 97 900se. ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

Stop buying GE bulbs.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Interesting. I'm not really sure what type I bought. I have the box in the trunk. So, is there a 'saab friendly' bulb that's proven to be more reliable?

~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

It's just a guess, but I could never keep GE bulbs in my c900 for any length of time. Particularly annoying/amusing since I worked for GE (Medical) at the time.

For the record, you can't use GE lightbulbs in the scan room of a GE MRI scanner either - it puts horizontal streaks in the images. Need to use Philips bulbs (a maker of a competing MRI scanner). Had some fun with that one too ;)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

In lovely Waukesha, no doubt.

For the record Dave? Nonsense. I still do work in MRI and it's not the brand of bulb that matters. It's what's driving the bulbs. You can't use AC lighting in a storng magnetic field because the filaments will vibrate at 60hz and fragment. GE bulbs are as good as any in a magnet room.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

That's the place. Good place to, er, be from. Looks great on a resume. Met a lot of good people there. You can see what I'm saying by what I'm not saying on this one.

Sorry, but not nonsense. The GE bulbs gave zippers on 1.5T systems. This was 1992-ish, maybe GE has changed their filament design since. But, the site install specs called out Philips bulbs, with part number. DC, as I recall.

At the time, the root cause analysis was that the filament in the GE bulb was (thinner and more tightly coiled) while the Philips bulb was thicker and more gently coiled, or the other way around. I'm trying to dredge up the name of the guy who explained it to me. Howes would remember, McCabe probably would too. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't just mobiles, so any of the MedFacs guys from back then could back it up as well...

So which of the two Freds are you? I'm guessing you live in Farmington?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The new one's are Sylvania. Can't remember what the old ones were.

~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

Is it always the same headlight that fails?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Nope. ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

In your country - I guess it'll be 60 Hz. Don't forget that there's a whole world out there ! Much of it ( possibly even most ) being 50 Hz.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What's the battery voltage with the alternator charging ? Questionable alternator perhaps ?

Bulb life is *highly* affected by voltage. It's something like a 3rd or

4th power term IIRC.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Ah. Not wat I thought it might be then.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Try checking the regulated voltage from the alternator. If the voltage is running high or fluctuating high, it will cause higher current draw through the bulb which will cause the filament to wear out faster. You might just a have a bad regulator.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Sounds like a good place to start. I eplaced the alternator sometime last summer. Now that was a pain! I'll check out the voltage today. Many thanks to all! ~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

I've seen this happen when the bulb moves while driving - i.e. loose in the socket or the whole headlight assembly is loose. Other factors could be moisture getting at the bulb? There is also the obvious one of handling the bulb with the fingers when installing.....

Reply to
saabturbo