HELP! My Saab "Eats" Wheels and Tires!

My '99 9-3 SE "eats" wheels & tires. In the 3 years that I've driven the car I've had to replace 5 wheels due to the wheels becoming bent or warped; have had 2 tire blowouts and several tires develop "slow leaks".

My 9-3 came with OEM Saab 16" wheels that I believe are called - "Viking" 3 hole alloy wheels - and I've run both Michelin and Gislaved tires on them.

My driving is not overly aggressive - mosy is Interstate highway driving, so I don't think that's the cause. There seems to be a problem with the design / construction of this wheel. Or perhaps it's just that the low profile tires do not provide enough "cushioning" to prevent the wheels from becoming damaged.

Any reccomendations for an alternative wheel or tire?

Many thanks, WPK

Reply to
Wako

[...]

WPK

What tire size do you use? Low profiles like 205/50/16 require higher tire pressures than normal 65 profile tires. The correct pressures for the low profile inevitably gives a harder ride, but with the bonus of more precise handling. Sometimes the effect on the ride is not wanted and the pressure is often reduced or not maintained, but with a high probability of tire/rim damage.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

I have the same problem with my 99 9-3. In the past yr alone, I have had 5 tire blowouts, one with a bent rim,1 with a puncture and 3 with defective valves. I believe I have OEM 16" alloy wheels too. My rear rim is also slightly bent but was able to be manually beaten with no visible leak.

Reply to
JNY