Help please - what wheels/tires to put on baja??

Okay, anticipating the flames here...my '72 SB is getting baja'ed. I've looked EVERYWHERE online, and I cannot get an exact answer...I get comments re: 30" talls on swingaxles, monster trucks, etc.... so what do I put on my 80% street baja that won't look puny/silly, and won't be monstrous/gargantuan? These wheels will go under the front baja glass (wide-eye'd, and cut-back rear fenders... I would ask Shaggie, but not going to bother him...(hey at least this is a Super)... I'm thinking white-wagon-wheels, maybe 15X7 or 15X8...can I put 195's or 205's on these rims?? PLEASE, no long answers concerning physics or geometrics - just, what do YOU have on your irs baja or beetle, and what can I simply put on w/o torsion and shock changes, etc. The first thing I'm doing is taking off the engine lid, to be offered here for shipping charges, and the apron cover, fiberglass and okay (from aircooled.net)...but this will all be in a couple of weeks.... this car has an okay original steel hood, and that has to go... I'm in Atlanta, and really appreciate you Ramva kids... thanks... paul snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
pmbedard

My first VW was a IRS baja. I had 15x6 wheels on the front with

195/75r15 on the front(skinny & tall. you could get away with leaving the 165r15 on there if you dont stray onto seriuos ruts and bumps. I had 15x8 inch wheels on the back with 30x10 tires on the back which is as big as you can get without some serious mods, a 31 inch tire will hit the torsion tube that sticks out. A 225/70r15 would be a good middle ground. Its the size most stock wranglers and samurais use. I have them on my squareback, along with KYB Gas-a-just shocks and the 165s in the front, and I've got 9 inches of clearance in the front (11 if I pull out the spare tire tub) and 12 inches in the back, without raising the suspension. If your using a Superbeetle for a baja, I would seriously consider getting the strut brace, as the front suspension ties into the body. I wouldn't be jumping the car, either.
Reply to
Zarana-X

Hi Paul,

On my 64 baja (mostly urban) I'm running 205/70-14's (thing wheels). On a 15" wheel with 205's I had clearence issues in the back (tire rub). This is on a stock transaxle/front beam, no tweaks to the suspension other than new parts... the shocks are kyb...nice and stiff.

Regards, Jon

64 urban baja

pmbedard wrote:

Reply to
Jon Eischeid

I have several bajas... have had the super baja ... great for a street car.

We turned up the rear a couple of notches.. brought the rims to a junk yard that does take offs... the guys LOVED trying out tires on it... $80 later had stocks on the front and 15x10x30s on the rear.

I have a NEW set of Empi Wagon wheels that I got in a huge parts buy... 4 bolt and never used... would love to find a fitting home.

A farmer told me (they're the source of all good off-road information) that small and skinny are what's needed for good front turning... fat and wide for the power wheels.

I don't remember who sold them... there was a Baja 5 piece kit for a Super... Fronts/Rears and Cowl. ... very cool kit.. you kept the stock hood and storage area. FAST conversion.

Please email me if you're interested in the rims. T.

Reply to
MNAirHead

Thanks for taking the time to help out. Sorry to be dense, but I've heard others say 225's are okay, but 205's cause problems... What are 15X10X30's? Would TireAmerica people understand these terms? I was just reading that the cheapo white wagon wheels are really heavy...is this true? I'm too poor for Centerlines - so poor it's going to hurt to get rid of my stock rims and Pep Boys radials :+) I know the Empi 8-spoke...is that what you mean by Empi wagon wheels? They sound great, but wife says no VW stuff 'til I get my IRS refund :+( That Super kit sounds good too...the only Super kit I know of that's being made is MarkV, and they have the best reputation...I haven't checked out Bugpack or FiberJet yet...thanks again! paul snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net this is going to be a street baja...that strut brace is the 1st thing I get.

Reply to
pmbedard

I run 29.x11.5x15's (on a 10" wheel) on the rear and 27x9.5x15 (on a 6") on the front. Both sets of tires are Super Swampers. The original config of my car was 30x9.5x15 (on an 8" wheel) and up to a

215.75x15/whatever I could find in the used tirerack with a somewhat aggressive tread pattern/ (on a 5" wheel).

I think the 30x9.5's are a good all around choice for the rear. Every tire manufacturer makes them and they come mild to wild for tread pattern.They also aren't to big (you still have some driveability on the highway if needed). I'd suggest the 8" buggy wheel for budget. The standard one that every vender sells has a good offset for the VW, the only rubbing will show at full compression on the fender. That will depend on your choice of fender also. If your really budget minded, don't be afraid to look at 31x10.5 sized tires if you have the

8" or wider buggy wheel. Those are usually the easitest to locate on the used tire rack :)

In the front I wouldn't go wider than a 6" rim. I can't tell you whats for sure gonna fit because I don't have a SB. I don't suggest using the stock wheel with any tire other than around the stock sizes because the offset will probably give you rubbing issues on the inner panels when turning. Again the standard buggy wheel that everyone sells have a good offset. I think you'd be safe with a 205 series tire (I'd want to try a 215 out if I was you for sure though, much better for tread pattern choices).

BTW, I would not be concerned too much about the wieght of the steel wheels, unless you have to ship them in ($$).

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

American made off road tires (BF Goodrich, Goodyear) are measured the same as wheels. And those steel wheels ARE heavy.the 6x15 is about 30 lbs, a 8x15 is probably about 38 lbs. your stock wheels are about 28 lbs. Empi

8-spokes weigh about 22 lbs, and will stand up to light off-road use, I've got those on my squareback with ethe 225/75r15s on the back. You could probably keep you stock front tire & wheels combo untill you can afford to switch, get the rear wheels first.
Reply to
Zarana-X

time to help out. Sorry to be dense, but I've

I've been enjoying driving my '72 Super w/1600dp above 80 m.p.h. on I-85N. It's pretty much gutted; no bumpers, carpet, insulation, and the loss of weight is nice. Cheaper than a a pair of Weber 48's. I wonder what a big motor, carbs, etc. would feel like. Be nice to junk those heaters...I wonder what they weigh - but it gets cold, even here in Georgia...the weight of those white wagon wheels really p's me OFF, but I guess I can make up the difference when it's a "baja". Making my roof rack out of emt or something lighter than rebar... I remember giving a ahhemm, more-than-slightly-heavy girl a ride back in 1969. She rode in the backseat, sitting above my massive Pontiac battery. After a few miles, there was the "tangible" smell of burning horsehair. We all made it home that night, but the poor girl had to sit on the left side the rest of the way. ahhh...alll the hippy stories concerning VW's...

Reply to
pmbedard