I'm thinking of rejoining the fold....

In which case ask him if he previously listed it on ebay. I could swear I've seen it before ( possibly for sale unrepaired ).

I'd ask if the ac is working too.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I did better than that. When I found out it was a repaired CAT C, I asked if he had the compulsory VIC (Vehicle inspection certificate) for Cat C or worse vehicles. He hasn't replied yet

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I think that after 15 years, I've finally seen a reasonable reason to top-post.

Yes, that's where my concerns would be also. Anything that took a load in a direction it normally wouldn't, so suspension & mounts, also steering maybe, depending on a few things. Worth having a 4-wheel alignment check done, but not a reason not to buy it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've discovered that as it is a Category C write off, to be legal again, it doesn't just require an MOT certificate, but also a Vehicle Inspection Certificate (VIC) which I assume would include checks that it was straight, aligned and road worthy, and legal to put onto the road.

I've contacted the seller to check if he has that certificate.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The only downer I can see here (as long as he has the relevant VIC certificate) is that I have to notify the my insurance that it is a crashed repaired former total loss vehicle that I am insuring. They will reduce the value, and increase the premium for that reason.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

He has the V5 logbook, and the VIC (post repair inspection certificate).

I think this might be one to watch. And I might have a train to catch.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Feeling better this morning - it still sort of dials up through the day as I work though.

Here's a tip for team here. Keep a jug of clean filtered or bottled water in the fridge when you are undertaking any repairs, it makes it all *much* more easy for the medics when they sew whatever your cut off back on.

Given Carl's reply regarding the VIC being issued, I think this machine could really be a deal. As you might remember I wrote off my 1989 and discovered that the forward panels were extremely crushable. I figure the

9000 shell, being a *just* pre-airbag design, is actually really good at absorbing and containing damage to the panel group. So I think the damage looks a lot worse than it actually was.

My take is that the insurance company wrote it off simply to save on the paperwork and whoever fixed it simply unbolted the hood, bumper shroud, perhaps the radiator clip - replaced them all and topped everything off with a fresh spray.

The record will always follow the car, so it is permenantly going to be worth less on the used market - but if you are buying to run until it runs no more - a great deal.

I really think the work outlined is very likely all it needed because when I got run over by a dodge 4x4 it really didn't send any kind of pressure wave through the frame on my 9000. All the damage was completely contained on the end of the front cliip. Heck, I thought all that had happened was that the lights had been kissed off until I tried to pull it over to the curb and climbed over the bumper beam on the way in. It might still be on the road today had the rust not already really gotten out of hand in the rear end.

Anyway - looks like a real peach to me. Wish I lived over there as I would actually be bidding on it myself. On that note - regrets as regards the London bombings. Tragic business, very sorry to hear it.

Reply to
Dexter J