thinking of dragenwagen

I've been watching some of the news footage of Mississippi including Biloxi where Tim and his family lives. I think that he once said that his house is only about a mile from the Gulf of Mexico and just 4 days ago he posted a message that they were going to be in a shelter when Katrina arrived. I hope that the shelter was a lot further from the beach than his house......the pics that I'm seeing on Fox look very bad for that entire area. What a disaster.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Isn't he in a branch of the armed forces? If so, I'm sure he's being used to the max and working hard right about now.

Sad to see all those poor people homeless -- there's a lot of hard work to do, that's for sure. Due to the circumstances beyond anyone's control, I just hope no strange diseases break out and make the situation even worse..

Reply to
Remco

............Keesler Airforce Base is a large training base that includes a huge medical facility. It's located, if my memory from long ago is correct, very close to the shoreline of the Gulf and that has got to mean that the damage to the base itself must be very severe. If Tim's shelter for himself and his family is on the base, they 'should' be OK though because of the size and type of structures usually found at a large base like that. Lets hope that I'm right and that they're safe and secure there.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"Tim Rogers" wrote

Update from Keesler: "[...] The damage is severe enough that we are unable to leave our shelters until Thursday at the earliest in order to assure our recovery teams have cleared debris and made it safe for us and our families to return home." [...]

For the rest, see:

Lorem Ipsum

So was I. In another note someone said they hadn't heard from about 4 people down that way.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

You gotta think over a million people homeless, without power and water and nowhere to go and no way to get there.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Will be praying that Tim and his family are ok.

Reply to
Bill Berckman

How many times have you seen the POSTAL SERVICE fail like this? Never mind the telephone service and the rest.

OUCH.

We really need to pray for them. There's not a whole lot else we can do right now. Throwing money at the problem doesn't do any good when they can't even get there to deliver any of the supplies we've tried to send.

There are no roads or plane runways inside NO to get anywhere outside. No one has mentioned train tracks, but I suspect most of them are shot for the moment, too.

There is a train line that runs through here to New Orleans. You've heard the song, "City of New Orleans". I wonder where they're having to reroute it to? We didn't see the City run south tonight out of Chicago to New Orleans.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

I just heard that Pass Christian, Mississippi was fairly badly hit, too.

Also that Mississippi was hit pretty strongly all the way into Hattiesburg, about 60 miles inland.

I wish they would tie it together better instead of the dribs and drabs.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

The airport is operational but allows only rescue and aid traffic.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

That's an improvement. It was unusable a couple days ago.

Did you see where some idiot took a shot at the rescue heliocopter? Somebody said it was an AK-47. Reminds me of "Heartbreak Ridge". "That is the sound of the AK-47, the prefered weapon of your enemy. It makes a distinctive sound when fired."

When I left, there was a housing project on fire and when I came back trash and bodies were piling up by the I-10. Are they people or pigs left in N.O.?

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr