Installing A New Front Crank Seal On A 9000

How do I get a straight, even force to make the seal seat right?

When do I know it does?

Reply to
Valjean

I did it with the engine removed so my experience probably doesn't apply to you. No. I did not remove the engine just to do the seal of course. With the timing cover removed, I used a 3/4" drive socket of appropriate size to bang it in slowly, checking alignment after a couple of blows using a 16 oz hammer.

I presume you are doing it in car. So you will be staring at the crank shaft protruding from the timing cover. I suggest you get a short piece of 2x6, cut a hole in the center to allow the crank shaft to go in freely and use it as cushion to hammer the seal in. Again do it evenly one or two blows at a time around the edges checking alignment every few blows.

Reply to
yaofeng

How tight does it have to get?

When do I know to stop...

Reply to
Valjean

I did one with the engine in the car. I seem to recall that I was able to press the seal in place by hand. I just pushed it in all the way until it bottomed out. This was on a '93 2.3L turbo.

Reply to
Fred W

The lip of the seal on the inside sits against a base. When it does the outside of the seal is flush with the pump cover.

Reply to
yaofeng