Lambda readings

Hello all,

I've just had my '98 9000 2.3T tested for emissions (as part of the UK MoT annual inspection) and see that the lambda value from my car is

1.001. According the the printout, the acceptable values are between 0.970 and 1.030.

The car has just over 106,000 miles on the clock and as far as I know has never had the sensor replaced. Fuel economy isn't as good as it might be, but that could easily be the fault of the fun pedal and the driver...

So is it time for a new sensor?

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Piers

1.001 is fine - practically smack on the ideal value.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Thanks Colin - it looks like I have to take responsibility for the miles per gallon myself then!

Reply to
Piers

Many more things can affect your gas mileage than the Lambda sensor, if it's gone down significantly you should check other things. Tire pressure is quite possibly the most overlooked, even being quite mechanically able I had neglected mine for a while (lousy weather to work on cars) and found they were all around 25 PSI, filled them all up to 40 and my MPG went up significantly, not to mention the car feels more responsive.

Reply to
James Sweet

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Piers at snipped-for-privacy@xstiscali.co.uk wrote on 28/02/2005 17:51:

It shows that your catalytic converter is working correctly. With the .001 percent carbon monoxide slipping through it's not perfect, but heck it's

*nothing* to be concerned with. Generally, if it's within range then it's okay. My car puts out 4% (no cat), so that gives you an excuse to drive yours more :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday