Citroen Zantia lambda emissions failure

My friend's Zantia has just failed its MOT on Lambda emissions. She is in no position to torch it, crush it or take up running, so is keen to get it sorted
at minimal cost (if it's even vaguely worth it), or else start walking everywhere.
I guess there could be a multitude of reasons why the lambda is out, but I'm hoping someone with sufficient knowledge on here may be able to suggest some options please (with possible ballpark costs?). (Given the miles etc. I wonder whether just changing the lambda sensor may be the answer ?)
Here are the details.....
Citroen Zantia Petrol 1756cc P-reg 106,422 miles (Engine last serviced at a garage approx 18 months ago at around 90-95,000 miles)
Fast Idle Test CO Limit 0.30%vol Tested 0 HC Limit 200ppmvol Tested 7 Lambda Limit 1.030 Tested 1.034 <----
2nd Fast Idle Test CO Limit 0.30%vol Tested 0 HC Limit 200ppmvol Tested 3 Lambda Limit 1.030 Tested 1.039 <----
Natural idle test CO Pass
Advisory: Rear exhaust system has minor leak of exhaust gases but not sufficient to fail on its own
My friend says the car starts and runs fine, accelerates well, no hesitations etc. From her point of view the car is fine.
Many thanks
Jeff

fix the exhaust leak , service it and it will be fine.

Sort the leak.

Exhaust leak is 99.9% causing the slightly off Lambda reading. Fix it.
Have it serviced. If she wants it reliable and wants to keep it running for some time yet, thats not an option.
Then bollock her for not servicing it again, not only for maintanance but from a safety point of view- brake pads and tyres being the most obvious.
Tim..
Jeff wrote:

I read through some previous threads on emissions and combining that with your responses it all seems to make sense.
Thanks for the advice, Guys. I've told my friend to get the exhaust sorted and a service.
Jeff wrote:

Well she took it back to the MOT people for a new exhaust. When she picked it up they charged her 20 quid cash for 'doing something' to fix it. Not exactly sure what they did, but it sounds like something along the lines of sticking engine cleaner fluid (?) in the air intake and running it through until the reading dropped the right side of the pass mark. Whatever it was they did, she has a printout which now shows 1.028, just a pass. She's happy and is now saving to get a new exhaust and a service a bit later in the year.