Failed MOT on emissions

I wondered if anyone could help me, my car recently failed its MOT on its emissions, I have a 1999 Corsa, 1.1.

Could anyone offer any suggestions about what it could be, the garage said I may need to replace cat but I wondered would it be worth trying to change the air filter and spark plugs of if failure indicates something more serious (ie. The Cat).

One other thing is that I didn't get a chance to give the car a good running, (only 30 sec to garage) so good chance it wouldn't have been that warm, from what I've read of other subjects on here could that contribute ??

Any suggestions would be really appriciated.

The readings were as follows:

DESCRIPTION MIN LIMIT MAX LIMIT ACTUAL VALUE PASS / FAIL OIL TEMP 80 ------- 81 PASS FAST IDLE TEST FAIL RPM 1/min 2750 3250 ----- Not checked CO % vol ----- 0.300 0.537 FAIL HC PPM vol: ----- 200 130 PASS Lambda 0.970 1.030 1.039 FAIL SECOND FAST IDLE TEST FAIL RPM 1/min 2750 3250 ----- Not checked CO % vol ----- 0.300 0.546 FAIL HC PPM vol: ----- 200 142 PASS Lambda 0.970 1.030 1.042 FAIL NATURAL IDLE TEST PASS RPM 1/min 750 1150 ------ Not checked CO % vol ------ 0.500 0.499 Pass

Reply to
Lou

A lot of places run the engine for the whole length of the MOT test and do the emissions at the end.

Think of all the wasted petrol given the number of MOTs done daily around the country!

Reply to
Art Deco

Lou ( snipped-for-privacy@jpmorgan.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

This would seem to suggest it was thoroughly warm - assuming it was actually checked with a temp sensor of some kind.

Assuming it truly was warm enough, I'd suggest a duff lambda sensor.

Reply to
Adrian

I would suspect the cat and or engine wasnt hot enough. Idling in the garage is not enough to even keep the cat at working temperature on some cars- especially on a corsa of this age, where the cat is quite along way downstream of the engine.

Give it a good fast run and submit it for an emissions test immediately. I bet it passes.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

How much?

Reply to
adder1969

Tim.. ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to
Adrian

Which is the minimum, it does impy it's not hot.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Duncan Wood ( snipped-for-privacy@dmx512.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

As I said... "IF it's actually been checked"...

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah and? As I said, on this and certain other Vx's the cat is located waaaay down the exhaust from the engine...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

So do you think it is worth me retesting the MOT after giving it a good old drive first ??

Or should i take a look at spark plugs or anything else before hand??

Reply to
Lou

if after the initial cat test it fails you do a second fast idle test for 3 mins between 2750 - 3250 rpm, which give the cat chance to "light up |" but ive noticed on the test results for some reason the rpm has been by passed ?

Reply to
reg

Definitely. Have you got a Nationwide Autocentre anywhere near you and have you got (or could you get - it's free) Civil Service Motoring Association membership? 'Cos N'wide will do you a no pass no fee MoT test, plus 33% off the fee if it does pass, you you could give it a good run and take it there with nothing to lose. You either drive away with a free failure or a £30 pass.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

An Italian Tuneup is always worth doing before an MOT. Get it nice and warm then drive around at higher than you are used to for a while. Gets the cobwebs out a treat.

Helps the emissions too ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

CSMA membership isn't free and Nationwide wouldn't let me have my no pass no fee last time I went in there.

Reply to
adder1969

CSMA membership is now most definitely 100% free unless you want their crap magazine. Only reason I rejoined is because it cost nowt. Nationwide will normally only refuse the deal if you don't have the membership card and the relevant voucher (which you can print off the CSMA website).

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Ooh, I'll have to check that then when I renew. I've got three cars and I claim my CSMA discounts on each MoT but never give them any work so I think the guy just got fed up with me. Most of the time they pass first time.

Reply to
adder1969