Manual Transmission Switch

I have an 87 900S. There is an electrical switch on the passensger side of the transmission near the front of the vehicle. What is the purpose of this switch? What is the part number? I was having the oil drain plug fixed and when I picked up the transmission I noticed that the switch had been broken. Shoulda removed the switch before I dropped it off....grrrrr.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Not sure about the switch, but you might want to mention which side the passenger sits on in your country.

John

Reply to
John B

DOH.... Passengers are in the "right" side of the car in my country (USA). Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

On the underside of the car? Only thing I can think of is the backup light switch. If the oil change place broke it they should fix it though.

Reply to
James Sweet

That is the fifth gear lockout for the shift up light, if it is the one I am thinking of. When you are in fifth gear and can no longer shift up, it keeps the light from coming on.

Charles.

Reply to
Charles

Hmm, sort of half automatic transmission, except that the car gets the driver to shift gears by blinking a light at him...

I think I prefer my full auto.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Thanks Charles! I will look into if this is what the switch is. Maybe I will leave it disconnected so the light doesn't flash anyway :-). But I need to do something as it is now an oil leak source :-(.

Re: James Sweet - It was not an oil change. I am swapping transmissions between 2 87 Saab 900's Sadly the good transmission had an oil leak because a "mechanic" first stripped the oil drain plug then cracked the housing inserting a helicoil. I took the transmission to a local shop that does heli-arc welding to have the cast aluminum housing weld repaired. In working on it, it looks like they knocked the contact portion of the switch out. I am thinking of speaking to them about it but want to know the part number and cost first.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yuck, I'll take a manual any day, though I normally disable the shift indicator light, it's really only useful for a beginning driver.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well as far as I can determine, it is the reverse light switch or at least this is what alleurasianautoparts.com shows it as. I have taken the one off the other transmission but it is a bit dodgey so.... I will see what happens as it is easy enough to replace in the vehicle.

Reply to
Jim

Well, I no longer believe it is the reverse light switch or the car has

2 of them :^) I have sucessfully reassembled the engine and transmission. I tested today if I have reverse lights with this switch disconnect and I do. Maybe it is related to the shift up light. I will test some more and ask more questions to see if I can find out.

Jim

1987 C900S
Reply to
Jim