New to Saab - opinions on 9000 CDE Turbo

Hello everyone. I'm new to saab and just bought a 1993 9000 CDE Turbo in pristine condition with only 35,000 miles on it for $6500. Was curious about your opinions/experiences on this car and what kind of longevity I should expect, or problems I should anticipate, or special care tips. Thanks!!

Reply to
ngwcaa

pristine condition with only 35,000 miles on it for $6500. Was curious about your opinions/experiences on this car and what kind of longevity I should expect, or problems I should anticipate, or special care tips. Thanks!!

Mileage seems suspiciously low for such a large and powerful car. The price is steep; just look at ebay for a minute and you'll see. At that age, it all depends on service history. Mine has done 95k miles and is now fine condition, but needed a lot of attention around 60k mark. The car is very well build, perhaps even better than the newest Saabs, but repairs does cost a bit.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

There goes Johannes once again, comparing his experience in the UK with what is going on in the US and saying the price is "steep". I bought my 9000T when it was 6 years old and had 84,000 miles on it. I paid around $8,500 for it and thought it was a bargain. That was 6 years ago. The dealer was asking $14,000 for the car (that price was truly steep).

If the car described by the original poster was purchased from a retired person, or someone that used public transportation to get to work, then it might truly only have 35,000 miles on it. If the mileage is true and in the pristine condition mentioned, then, in my opinion, you bought a good car and got a great deal.

Special care tips: bleed the brakes (and hydraulic clutch if you have stick shift) often (no less frequent than every 2 years). To answer the question about what might break - Things I had to repair on my car because they broke or wore out: Motor mounts, exhaust system, manual transmission (with clutch), heater fan speed control, tires, battery, cassette deck/radio, antenna mast (wore out, didn't break), brake pads, turbo bypass valve, CV boots. Things that currently need replacing: headliner Things I replaced because I thought they needed replacement but they probably would have lasted a bit longer: shocks and struts, hoses and belts, slave cylinder.

I was able to do all the work myself, except for an exhaust pipe that broke while I was out of town. If you find a reasonably priced parts supplier, a Saab for the most part isn't any more expensive to repair than any other car. For example, the transmission with clutch, slave cylinder, and all the parts I broke or thought needed replacing while I was in the neighborhood cost me around $2,000 to replace. That included shipping for the transmission and the core return. If it is more expensive for some repairs, the fun you have driving it will make up for the added expense.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T

pristine condition with only 35,000 miles on it for $6500. Was curious about your opinions/experiences on this car and what kind of longevity I should expect, or problems I should anticipate, or special care tips. Thanks!!

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Thanks for your comments! Awesome. The car is one owner, all records with milage noted on all records and on the carfax report. Clean carfax report with mileage noted at each smog check. I thought it was a great deal! The interior and exterior are like new. It's like nobody ever sat in the car or put anything in the trunk.

Reply to
ngwcaa

milage noted on all records and on the carfax report. Clean carfax report with mileage noted at each smog check. I thought it was a great deal! The interior and exterior are like new. It's like nobody ever sat in the car or put anything in the trunk.

Well, I eat my words then. Sounds like a great deal after all. What engine does it have?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

This car would have the 2.3L 200hp full pressure turbo. All 9000CDE's for the US had this engine, except for MY 98 when they were equipped with the Aero engine (in stick shift cars only, of course).

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T