Looking for my next Saab

OK, so I've had my first Saab for 3 years now. A '92 dark green 9000CS LPT with leather etc. I can't say she's ever let me down in a big way, but she's beginning to show her age (160,000ml) and with the amazing value of these cars in the UK I'm tempted to try the full pressure turbo version next. So...

Much difference between the 2l & 2.3l in terms of performance, acceleration, economy?

What exactly does "Aero" mean for the 9000?

Avoid the 16v models?

Forget about auto gear boxes?

Should I avoid the anniversary re-issues?

Ever bought a car off Ebay??

What I want is a *really* good example, in pristine condition that I can keep, love and cherish for the next 5 years or so.. Black, tan leather,

2.3litre, FPT / FSH @£2,500?????

Any thoughts much appreciated

Bob

Reply to
Nasty Bob

It's my understanding that LPTs can be converted to FPT relatively easily, so you might want to consider that option if the '92 is otherwise sound.

John

Reply to
John B

Thanks John. I had first considered having my current car overhauled. I reckon it needs new engine mountings and a new exhaust. Apart from that, I'd want a new clutch (had a temporary fix by the local Saab garage who said it might last

6 months to a couple of years), and a new timing belt / chain and then a turbo conversion. But when you look at the cost of all that, it's difficult not to be tempted by something in better condition / less mileage and with the FPT... but maybe there is something in "better the devil you know" & all that. I HATE buying cars as I don't know that much about them, and Icould easily end up with a total lemon. I had the Saab garage check our old car out before I committed to buying. £80 well spent for peace of mind.
Reply to
Nasty Bob

LPTs need an intercooler fitted to run at full pressure so its not so easy at all.

Abbott will do this for a price.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Bob...you may be as well to take a good look at another car before spending too much on your current one. Prices - particularly for private sales - are well down, and you could pick up an excellent car very reasonably. Service history is important as you know. We've just been through the changing vehicles business ourselves, and we hate it. Looked at chopping our '96 9000 2.3LPT in part exchange. Even against a relatively new car (not a Saab), the offers were very low, and looking online the private prices aren't too different. We've had the car for about 6 years. It had 70K on the clock when we bought it, and has just over 155K now, full dealer service history, usual CSE LPT toys, and offers were well below £1K. Autotrader has a '98 2.3 LPT automatic at £3492, and a bunch of others from about £1K upwards - but of course dealers have higher overheads and need to give a warranty of some sort. As we'd just had a big service and re-insured ours we decided to keep it for now alongside the newer motor. Decisions, decisions....!

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

Hello Bob, Regarding Ebay, I've bought 2 Saabs here in the U.S. The first was a

1995 900se I got from an investment broker in Virginia. It was well maintained and generally a good deal. The second was a 1999 9-5 from a used car dealer in Texas. It had been in a serious accident that did not show on Carfax and was not revealed by the seller. It also needed about $1500 in repairs when I bought it. So, it was not a good deal, although I'm stilll driving it 3 years later and it's running well. Make judgements based on who the seller is. Read the feedback on Ebay from other buyers, but if it's posittive don't trust it exclusively. Be wary, especially of small volume used car dealers. Ask lots of questions, look for detailed, conscientious answers, and if it smells at all fishy, throw it back. You can get great deals, but not everything that looks like a deal is great.
Reply to
roscoeboy

"better the devil you know" & all that

...than the angel you don't?

...than an Esquimo on skis?

What? Just wondering. We don't have that expession here.

Reply to
Misterbeets

Pretty much, yeah.

Although, I like yours better.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article R9aCf.9701$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Nasty Bob at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 26/01/2006 20:20:

My mate just bought a pristine 9000 Anniversary (1998 MY) 2.3 LPT for just short of 3,000 UKP. I think that kind of money will get you a fully loaded

9000 Anni or Aero with all the toys and comforts. The Anniversary has nicer interior styling than the Aero, IMO, but an Aero is ... Well ... An Aero and they're always nice :)

Look around eBay, Autotrader and some of the forum board classifieds.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com, Pooh Bear at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 26/01/2006 23:48:

As an aside, some of the later model LPTs had an intercooler. They were rated to 170 BHP on the B234 engine variant. Just an ECU upgrade and it's up to the 200 BHP or 230 BHP standard. The money Abbott (or whoever) charge for ECU upgrades leaves me thinking it would be worth buying a crashed Aero and swiping the box!

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 27/01/2006 15:17:

If he takes that attitude, he'll never change his car. SAABs never seem to go wrong enough to get to that point where you say, "sod it ... It's too much!" ... Even after being written off :)

Paul

Vart tog vägen vägen? SAAB : Nothing on earth comes close

Reply to
Paul Halliday

I find my 1993 2.0 LPT is plenty fast. No turbo lag and probably last longer.

Reply to
Johannes

That's encouraging. But what does the Aero badge mean? Different seats / engine??

Also, any point keeping my current 2L LPT for "spares" if I get the 2/2.3L FPT????

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Sorry to be so ignorant but.. I have a work colleague who also has a 9000 LPT Saab. But his is a slightly younger model (M reg) and looking at his engine, he has this extra "thing" on the left hand side of his engine (as you stand looking at it with the bonnet open). Is that an intercooler?? He keeps saying his is a "proper" turbo, but he doesn't have the turbo boost gauge on his dashboard??????? cheers!

Reply to
Nasty Bob

....yes, different seats, altered suspension, and a bunch of other things. Plus dearer insurance of course :o) Quite a few Aeros seem to have auto boxes, and I was told by my dealer that the auto box is OK in the less powerful models, but can fail prematurely in Aero/Griffon if driven hard. The 2.3 LPT has 170bhp, while the Aero has 225 (I think). LPT has 0-60 time of around 8 secs, Aero around 6.5 - both on paper. For day-to-day driving I very much doubt you'd find the LPT models lacking.

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

Really? Are the FPT engines unreliable? Or do you think the driver is more likely to "thrash" the FPT ??

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Unless it is a GM Saab :-) I easily parted with a GM Saab. I stil have second thoughts about selling my 1985 C900 with the base 8V engine. However, I have a SPG C900 now, so it makes parting with 1985 somewhat easier :-)

Reply to
ma_twain

They are just as reliable. I have heard of tranny problems, both auto an manual, with some of the 230hp motors.

Reply to
Bob

in article 7bwCf.10416$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Nasty Bob at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 27/01/2006 21:23:

On the Aero, you get a sleek bodykit, Aero wheels (usually 16" deep dish rims on the late models) and leather seats, which have distinctive slashes:

Now the Anniversary model gets the same bodykit, unique seats with the SAAB aeroplane logos embossed into the leather with suede flashes and "Anniversary" wheels. The dash fascia is walnut and the steering wheel has wooden sections.

Engine configurations range from 2.0L 150 BHP LPT through 2.3L 225 BHP. IIRC, the Aero is either 225 BHP or 230 BHP from a B234. My mate's 170 BHP

2.3 LPT has an intercooler, so it's all ready for a re-map.

I said, I preferred the Anni interior to the Aero, but that's your perogative. The exterior is almost the same as the Aero, but for the wheels. Drop some Super Aero wheels onto it and you've got the best of both worlds, IMO.

While the Anniversary does not mark itself out with any badge, sticker or other livery, the Aero does say "Aero" on the back, which is always cool :)

The gallery at SAAB 9000.com has some great pictures.

The guys who runs that site has a 300 BHP Aero which pulls a 5 second 0-60! There's a great track video on't net somewhere of him seeing off some Ferrari and then a Carrera on the straights.

There are loads of interchangeable parts, but personally, I would sell the old car on (let someone else enjoy it ... It sounds like a good 'un) and get any parts as and when necessary from scrap yards or the plethora of SAAB parts peddlers.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, ma_twain at ma snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 28/01/2006 00:35:

I let my '85 C900 8V go when I got the '89 C900 T8 (Aero style). I really regret letting that one go. It was a great car all round ... Turbos are fun, though, aren't they :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday