NG900 owners, what are you opinions of it?

in article o%wBe.136498$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 14/07/2005 18:09:

Oh, granted! My opinion is that the 9000 feels like a very classy car inside (admittedly, I've only been in digital climate control with leather) ... The NG900 does not!

Why not indeed! I've had two now (but I guess you knew that) :) Huge fun ... You can slide 'em with your ass and they still return 35-40 MPG with a decent enough "foot down" ... Spirito di Punto!!!

Actually, I think the NG900 and the Vauxhall Vectra have a great deal more in common (than the obvious) in terms of market placement and overall "feel". The turbo Astra suggestion was continued brain rambling :) Nice enough car, though, especially as a convertible.

No worries - I refuse to play that usenet "volley and charge" game, although some people do get my blood up :) Nowadays, I take the opinion that if I am going to retort, I'm best leaving it a day or two or let someone else do it.

... Those Carltons are nice, especially with leather and the older straight six engines. It's hard to second-guess whether Carl *is* really interested in an NG900. I would think he's adept at appreciating a car on its own merits without comparison to other models in the range ... But ... And that's one bit but ( :) ) ... He's already had a C900 and comparisons will be made.

Taking a longer view on the matter, a convertible in a flashy colour with a DI turbo engine would be a pretty good buy for an NG900. But, for the money, I'd look see what I could kind of 9-3 I could get and as a compromise with his good lady, I can't help thinking neither would get what they wanted out of the car; not that I know either of them personally, of course, just following the thread.

Paul

Vart tog vägen vägen? SAAB : Nothing on earth comes close

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Exactley. They are finally starting to get the recognitiom they deserve, and have passed from banger status for the ordinary populace, to modern classic, or usable utility classic for those who don't like how complicated modern cars are.

My thoughts exactly, and exactley why I even considered them, when the missus suggested one.

Again, exactley why I considered one even in the slightest. It might not be as good as a C900 (It might just be different except in the slightly less able handling), but that doesn't make it bad, it can still be better than the majority of cars.

Thats what I like to hear. My normal daily drive is motorway, and urban A road NSL commute. The Celica is great except the Mongoose exhaust drones a little as slightly more open stainless exhausts are prone to doing.

But last weekend, we went out to Delamere. On the way out we used the motorway. But on the way back, we used a nice country A road with NSL. Lots of twists, turns, dips and rises. I finally got to throw the car arround a little. I was taking bends (nice open sight lines) at 50 and

60 flowing through the curves, swapping cogs where needed, and even having a play with an Evo 8 (like a timewarp WRC with 2 Jap legends doing what they are best at). On out and out performance, the Evo should have slaughtered the GT4, but we were both content to stick to the speed limit most of the time, and just play with passing on the short straights. It was great. Missus said she hadn't seen "that grin since my Saab" and did I still want to sell it? Answer still had to be yes, because even though I was having fun, there was still a Pug 106 infront that was handling the corners just as well at similar speed, and faster on some.

But it was good to do it. And doing it while chilled by the aircon, while the tarmac was sticky was great. Now doing it in an open top C900 would have been perfect.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

As usual, budget is limited. And I want a manual. I want a Saab again. A GM/NG900 wouldn't be first choice, and normally wouldn't be in the running at all. However, if it came to "I don't want you having a big car, I don't want you ignoring me anymore, it's either me or the car, get something small and sensible" (it has gotten close), then it would have to be an NG900 to keep the peace (even though the size difference is nominal and purely illusiary).

No compromise on spec this time though. Black, leather, Aircon, FPT. If after a year or so, I need to Speedparts/Abbottise/Maptun it, so be it.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar