9000 Questions Re posted

Hi Folks, well We didn't get a 93 or a 95, we plumped for a 9000 Anniversary. Corking condition, with all the right history and low mileage (82K)

Now some technical stuff:-

Is it possible to retrofit a cruise control kit, my mechanic says yes, and it's not too difficult as the last of the 9000's had a simpler system. If so where could I get a kit?

It has a Saab radio, and separate single disc player, can a changer be fitted? I assume it's a saab only job?

Power upgrades, i.e. ecu upgrade from Abbot, speedparts or otherwise, do they really make a difference and how hard do they hit the mpg?

I had a computer in my dash on my FPT 9000, where there is an analogue clock now. It just gave distance to destination, av speed est time of arrival. It was a bit of a toy, but if I could find one in a scrappies, could I fit it? I assume it needs power/earth and a speed sensor?

Enough for now more later

Cheers

Al

Reply to
Al

SAAB. A while back (6 years or so) I was told the kit was circa 300GBP.

Sorry can't help with other Questions.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Hi Al,

I have an Anniversary 9000 too - wonderful car.

I believe it's a very easy addition and will do it myself when I can. Just 3 parts to fit - sensor on the brake pedal (an extra one on the clutch if it's manual transmission?), a different indicator stalk, and a motor unit under the bonnet/hood that attaches near the battery and connects to the throttle. The wiring should all be there. I've not done this myself yet though so bear this in mind.

You can get a new kit from Saab (in the UK they are around 250-300) or find one from a breakers or ebay. If you get a used one it needs to be post 1995 I think as this is when Saab changed from a vacuum cruise system.

I have a feeling that I've read about there being a Y connector on the cable behind the units that allows both the single disc and multidisc players to be attached at the same time. Again, I've not tried this and don't know how switching would work.

No idea I'm afraid though if you've got the 2.3 T I'd like to know how much more power you really want!

Isn't the display in the dash different on cars with the computer?

Enjoy your new family addition!

Piers

Reply to
Piers

Wonderful car. I wish I hadn't broken mine last year (still, the Aero is a nice, if unplanned, replacement)

You can probably fit a changer, take the radio out and have a look to see if it has an interface. an alternative, though, is a CD/MP3 player. You can get as many MP3s on a single disk as you can fit into a changer using normal audio CDs. I just bought a new head unit with aux-input to run my car computer through. It does MP3 Cds too and only cost about £100. You could probably recoup some of the cost selling the original CD player on Ebay.

cheers

Eamonn

Interesting. So what have you done regarding a screen for the CarPC? I have the hardware now, and had starting making a moulded in screen for=20 the carpc for my celica. But I'm planning on coming back to Saabs and=20 can't decide between a GM900 and a later 9000 (I would prefer 9000 but=20 missus says they are too big). Don't know whether to go with a moulded=20 in screen or a motorised popout VGA.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

I've got a non-motorised pop-out touchscreen.It was more expensive but it goes into one of the din slots without cutting so when I change the car it can easily come with me and the dash isn't ripped to bits.

Reply to
Eamonn

I would definitely go with the pop out screen, looks neater by a long way.

9000 too big? Again a late 9000 over a NG900 would be my choice too.

Al

Reply to
Al

Given my choice now,

would be the=20one I would go for. Things in the CarPC world have certainly moved on since I first started=20 dabbling with Car PCs.

My first thoughts of a CarPC system lead me to find that people were=20 using 2 line LCD and VFD displays, running Dos or stripped down linux.=20 All it played was MP3's

When I first actually built a system, 3 years ago, I had to use a=20 composite game screen as small VGA models were too small.

I later refined that to use a 10.4" desktop screen with a touchscreen=20 added, and a butchered/widened centre console in my 900.

was less than reliable, and in the end I went with putting the car=20back to standard.

When I bought the Celica, I planned an install in there again, but 7"=20 screens had come down in price, so I was able to start designing the=20 screen to replace the total double din + cupholders section.

plan was to have the whole radio area taken up by the screen and the=20tuner to come from a PCI tuner card in the small case I planned. However, with those small indash screen coming down to sub =A3400, and a=20 half decent Nakamichi cassette tuner (who needs CD with a CarPC) with=20 AUX input coming in at arround =A3300, I could easily go that route, play= =20 CD/MP3 from the PC using the slot DVD drive I have for CDs and the HDD=20 for the MP3s, and have the Navigation using a small seperate speaker=20 near the headrest on a seperate channel (maybe even bluetooth), so I=20 could listen to traffic reports, while GPS gives me directions.=20 Excellent.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

TBH, a C900 FPT convertable with Aero kit would be my choice. The 9000 FPT (CSE/Anni/Aero) "is" the compromise. But Women, what can you do.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Sleeker GT Phwoar at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 23/07/2005 22:05:

You can tell 'em what's what and get on with it :) .... Or not :))

Does she drive? If she does, then your choice of car will of course be affected by that. If not, then give her the best you can for the money you have. The right 9000 Anni/Aero would make for a very comfortable, "posh" and plush car.

My Debo begs for us to drive the C900 on long journeys - she says it's the most comfortable car she's ever been in. I do find that a little difficult to believe, since my Orca is lowered and has hard suspension and wheelie-pulling torque, but she finds it a sleeper on long journeys! I've only ever been in the passenger seat (or rear seats) when I've been to p*ssed to drive and in that state, it's pretty *uncomfortable* - apart from opening the rear window and listening to the exhaust :)

My Mum raves on about SAAB seats; so much so, I almost bought them the interior from a 9000 off e-Bay, but they bought a Daimler around the same time which is the most comfortable car *I've* ever been in.

It seems both an obvious choice and a very difficult choice to make - the

9000 is the right car. I'm sure of that. You love it ... Just get the right one to make a believer of your good lady. What about the CD model? I fancy the longer boot makes for a more conventional looking car. Just my "couple of coppers" :)

Paul

Vart tog vägen vägen? SAAB : Nothing on earth comes close

Reply to
Paul Halliday

[...]

CS is better looking than the CD; the boot on the CD looks like glued on. Hence CS is also more valuable on the secondhand market. But if you like the CD, you might find a bargain. It's also worth noting that all turbo models drive well, you might have fewer problems with an LPT than an Aero.

Reply to
Johannes

Yes she drives. But she started with her mums K10 Micra. Then she bought her own 1.1 Metro, then she had a 1.2 Corsa Breeze, now she has a 1.4 Skoda Fabia (with my assistance). Slowly but surely her cars and engines are getting bigger. But she mush prefers small newish cars than long flat older ones. She even said the C900 was very square.

Alison drove mine once, when I sliced my hand open. Didn't like it. Said it was too big to manouvre anywhere. And even with the early seats swung up on their highest setting (the old cam ones not the 9000 like ones) the seat was too high and the steering wheel was too big.

I would love to turn a full set of 9000 seats in leather into a 3 piece suite. Anniversary if possible, then I could get the electric adjust. Just need a frame and a couple of spare arm rests to make the rears into a Sofa. Could do a couple of extra on taller bases for the computer room too.

It was a CD we had a a courtesy loaner, the only thing she really liked was the heated seats, once she had gotten over the idea that she hadn't pissed herself.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I'm wondering if I could get her into a CS, and give her chance to try to laydown in the boot (it worked with the 900) she might give it a chance. Which ever one I go for, I want an FPT. Or if I'm going to convert later, at least a 2.3 LPT because the FPT ECU plugs in straight away, post 95 they have the IC already, and you only need to sort an APC solenoid and hoses.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Sleeker GT Phwoar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Odd. My reaction when I got a 9000 was how small it drove. Of course, I was coming from a Lincoln Mark VIII, so these things are relative. I liked the LPT in my 9000 better than the full turbo in the 900 I've got now. The LPT has much better low end torque, no turbo lag. It was well matched to the car. I had hoped to get another 9000 when the fool ran into mine, but couldn't find an affordable one. The 900 (1997 SE Talladega) actually feels bigger on the inside than the 9000. Not sure sure why. Headroom and footroom is the same, according to Edmunds and it's 3 inches narrower.

Reply to
Laura K

I agree that the 9000 CS is better looking than the CD.

Maybe that's one reason there seem to be very few CDs in the UK ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

In the UK, the average sized small hatchback if 1/2 if not a 1/3rd the size of a CS or CD9000. that is the size of car she likes.

I noticed, because of the size of the bumper and the huge load area, even though it was average family car size inside, outside was only about 4" shorter than a 7 series BMW, or a Large Merc.

A Saab C900/9000/9-5 comes into the size of an executive saloon/Sedan, the GM900/9-3/new9-3 comes in as a average family car. Nothing Saab market in the uk would be considered small, or compact by a non-Saab owner.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

If you check ( say using Parkers ) the difference in size between models is actually quite small.

A 9000CS is 15'2" x 5'10". The new 9-3 is identical !

Even the 9-5 is only 15'9" x 5'11"

Classic 900 15'7" x 5'7"

GM 900/early 9-3 15'3 x 5'7"

So the 9000CS is the shortest Saab of recent models. Despite its looks.

I agree with Laura that the 9000 drives 'much smaller' than it looks. It's pleasantly nimble.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thank you. Definitive measurements I can convince her with. Or at least try. Although she wil still use that particular brand of physics, "Because she says so" that women do so well.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Tell you what.... Check out the colours.

I just recently got a newer 9000. It's in the metallic 'Citrin Beige'. Never seen that many of them and I like the colour too ( very similar to my previous Vauxhall actually ). My friend Peggy just saw it. She was totally gobsmacked. In comparison, the older one in Le Mans blue left her totally cold.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The colour of my 9000CSE is one of the nicest around IMHO; it's eucalyptus metallic green. It's brighter than the scarabe green and gives the car a lighter look than heavier darker colours. However, the colour depends strongly on model year. The eucalyptus green was only seen around 92-93.

Reply to
Johannes