prices on 'classic ' cars on the rise

Saw this on ebay, kept a eye on it as its the same as mine, exept mines a genuine GT which acc to my club are much harder to find.

Spoke to a guy in my club last night, he told me he knew the owner and it actualyl went for 4 grand, mines tatty int and odd bit of rust, but comes with 5 slot wofrace and he said i could easy get that, esp as a GT, only been back on the road after 3 years off for a few weeks, many times been stopped and people wanting to buy it.

Must admit i love rwd and older cars, i drove a brand new top of range exec mondeo not long ago, tootally diff but didnt put a smile on my face.

On a diff note, i have seen many adds where your no claims is protected for life, actually how does that work? pros/cons?

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

You might have protected NCB, but if you claim, they load you right up off the back of that anyway, at least if you are proven to be at fault etc.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

That liftback model is probably the nicest of all the Celica shapes, although it was a shameless Mustang rip-off. It was listed as an ST but doesn't look like an ST to me - it looks like a GT 2000 which is what the badge says.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

> ame=STRK:MEWA:IT>

yes but the text states its a badged up ST, only way to really tell, not the engine as easy to chance but the GT has LSD and anti roll bar.

You wouldnt belive how many people ask me if its a mustang, one instant give away must be the lack of dual exhausts, i looked at that but the fuel tank is offset. People have stopped me to buy it. Just on my way home from my Sat job i had fun in the wet........

bottom of gallery 2, the red one is mine. not quite in the same condition now.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

just seen on tv adds where your protected for life no matter whos at fault and curious how it worked..........truthfully

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

That's a nice Celica. I'm very jealous. Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Al Reynolds ( snipped-for-privacy@bat400.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And on tomorrow's edition of "phrases you've never heard before"...

Reply to
Adrian

Basically, it's one step beyond the current protected NCB scam. If you have 'standard' protected NCB, you are allowed a certain number of fault claims in a certain period and they will let you keep your "x years" NCB. After a claim, your premium will go up if your still with the same company, but the figure for NCB will stay the same. You might think that you can take this NCB off to another firm to avoid the price hike, but that doesn't work either.

Let's say you have 2 years NCB. You may have noticed when giving details of claims for an insurance application that they ask whether your NCB was affected by the claim *and* whether it was protected. If your NCB was protected, they will work out a higher premium for the same NCB, because you represent a higher risk.

Consider these two situation: (a) You had 4 years unprotected NCB. You had a 50-50 claim and your NCB was reduced to 2 years. (b) You had 2 years protected NCB. You had the same claim and your NCB stays at two years.

Person (b) will usually pay more than (a), because (a) has a longer period with only one claim than (b). They both have "2 years NCB".

What will happen with the "protected for ever" NCBs is that your NCB will mean *even less* when applying for insurance.

In the end, your premium will always be determined by the number of claims you have made in a particular period of time (usually the last 4/5 years). NCB used to be a way of measuring this, because it indicated when your last claim was. Now it does no such thing, so it's becoming increasingly irrelevant, so the insurance companies can offer these "protection" scams to take more of your money.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Not feeling the love then?

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Forgot to add: Protected NCBs (all types) also encourage people not to fight claims because they think it won't affect their premium if they claim.

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Al Reynolds ( snipped-for-privacy@bat400.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's a kind offer, Al, but I'll pass.

Reply to
Adrian

thaanks

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

thanks, useful to know

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

thanks, seen better and the foto doesnt show the tatty interior, but all my old Celicas have been good cars.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

I let someone out in front of me today. Then I signalled.

Reply to
Grant

: > And on tomorrow's edition of "phrases you've never heard before"... : : I let someone out in front of me today. Then I signalled.

... and I wasn't talking to my fare at the time.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston