Power Window with a mind of its own wants to open by itself - 89 900 Aero/SPG

This is the driver's window. It has a one-touch down feature. It keeps on opening by itself. When I use the switch to close the window, it will sometimes stay closed, but usually wants to open again. Maybe 10 to 100 times. Sometimes it's OK for a few minutes or hours or days or even a month or two. Then it starts to assert itself again. It seems to do it more often in warm weather.

I've had the switch cleaned when I've been in for a service and once it seemed to improve things. Other times it seems to have made no difference.

Any ideas?

Regards, Richard.

Reply to
Richard Sherratt

An excorcist? James F. Hodgdon Jr. Hodgdon Scale Models

Reply to
Hdgdn

The car is getting warm inside, and wants to cool itself.

But on a more serious not, good luck with the switches, I've heard that once removed they can be cleaned and will work again.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hmmmm. I've tried swearing at it, but that doesn't work. Maybe an exorcist _would_ do the job :-)

Regards, Richard.

Reply to
Richard Sherratt

Do check/clean the switch. Also I am not sure if there are one or two relays involved--there could be an operating relay and a latching relay that holds the circuit closefd until it, the window, is full travel. The relay(s) may be sticking.. I do not believe that the load is swithched directly by the switch in the panel.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

It is on all my 900s (86,89,90).

Reply to
Grunff

It's either the switch, a short in the wiring between the switch and the motor, or demonic posession. My money's on the switch. Remove/dismantle/clean.

Reply to
Grunff

Re; Grunff on the window control

If it is the switch without any relays, how is the "Full Down" feature accomplished?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

The switch isn't just a switch - it's a switch/relay pack. So yes, it is done with a realy, but it's in the same housing as the switch.

Reply to
Grunff

- it's a switch/relay pack. So , it is done with a realy, but it's in the same housing as >the switch.

Thank you , sir

And could this not be ythe cause?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

You mean the relay contact sometimes just come together for no reason? It's possible I guess. But All the faults I've come across have been the switches.

When you open up the switch pack, all of the contacts are easily accessible anyway - the realys aren't sealed.

Reply to
Grunff

My understanding is that in this country (USA) there is no provision in the National Electrical Safety Code governing 12volt circuits either AC or DC. in automobilews, appliances or in general construction. Howeve, good practice dictates that the fuse (overload protection) is the closert or first device in the control line starting at "hot". Then all switching, then the load (controlled device) and from the load direct, and without interruption, to ground.

I am not not aware that any such code exists for autos here or in Sweden.If the controller(s) is/are on the ground side of the load, a short to ground will cause the device to run uncotrolled. I do not know this circuit but an intermittent short to ground is far from being unknown.

I agree that this is probably only a theoretical consideration and that the fault is probably an intermittent switch malfuntion.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm