Power window problem 99 trans sport

I've been having a problem with my 1999 Pontiac Trans Sport, I'm hoping for some suggestions.

Problem:

Both front power windows will "die" every once in a while, sometimes it is weeks between failures, sometimes it will start and stop working a few times within a 20 minute trip. Usually this happens with the windows half down, which is a pain in the #$@! Neither window will function either up or down, from either the driver's side or passengers side control. Occasionally if I push the drivers side window control hard to the second "down" postition (the "auto down" feature) the windows will suddenly function again. When the power windows fail, all other electrics in the car continue to function

What I've done so far:

Replaced the driver's side power window switch module, no change.

Removed the power window circuit breaker in the fuse box and temporarily swapped in a normal fuse of the same rating to see if the breaker was being tripped. No change. Also checked voltage on this breaker/fuse while windows were not functioning and got 13.9 volts with the engine running.

Any ideas? Is there a relay somewhere that is failing? A half broken power or ground wire in the harness? (If so, could someone give me the wire color coding for the connector so I can try and run a new wire?)

Reply to
Teknical
4th Generation F-bodies have the same problem. Its due to the protection circuit in the motor. Its a very very thin metal strip. When a the motor overloads, such as hitting the stops and the button not released, the metal strip expands. Thus, poping the circuit. After cool down, circuit is closed. Over time, the metal looses it abiliy to return to the closed position.

Things to do to fix the problem:

1: Buy a new motor and regulator, install it yourself. On installation, CLEAN the regulator tracks, lube both the tracks and gears. Just the motor can be replaced, available at any parts store. You need to do more work to remove and attached the new motor to the regulator.

2: On the cheap, clean the tracks and lube both tracks and gears.

The tracks get gummy over time. Cleaning reduces that friction, don't forget the rollers as they must be free to wobble. When you get the regulator out, you'll see the rollars has a ball/socket attachment.

Google around for other tips.

Reply to
brxsep