Re: '91 900 STD question URGENT

blown head, bad fan realy ( hook up the fan to a cabin switch)

tranny cooler in lower rad hose, if the plastic swirler is melted things are bad,

in my 4 door , it made the tranny bad, and also the heatercore failed.

dont drive it if it overheats Lamont, you big dummie ; )

Heyall... > > New to this Saab thing. I have the opportunity to pick up a '91 900 STD > 4D for beans. It's an automatic (yuk), but it rides really nice and has > little to no rust and a nice interior (Would be my first 4 door) The > problem is that when driving it I noticed that the temp was a little > high. I checked the coolant and it seems to have some petrolium in it. > The owner (a buddy) said that it blew a couple of hoses, but he hasn't > flushed the coolant for a couple of years. It's quite obvious that it > either has a blown head gasket (seems to be quite common on this motor - > what's it called a 212B?) or a leaking trans cooler. The trans seems OK, > but it acts funny when cold for about 10 seconds or so. Oh yeah, and it > has the seemingly common parking brake sticking problem, not the good > thing when you are trying to take the old lady for a ride and you have to > put the hurt on the poor trans to get it back in the driveway - test > drive over before it began. ;) > > So here are the questions: > > The price is $375US. If I flush the colling system and change the oil > (it doesn't seem to have any coolant in the oil - strange but I'll get to > that later), I think I can determine how bad the head gasket is. Does > this motor have head warping problems? How about the tranny... If I > want a Saab should I hold out for a manual? (Haven't had an automatic > since my first vehicle :) ) Is it difficult to change the head gasket on > this 16v? It doesn't puke coolant when it's running (out of the overflow > anyway, it does when I take the cap off, but I've never owned a *closed- > type* cooling system before) so... > > Thoughts, suggestions? I have 'till tomorrow to decide, otherwise it > gets donated... It would seem to make a nice replacement for the '91 > Escort GT with 345,000 miles that seems to have just fallen apart in the > last six months (brake calipers, exhaust (again), valve seals, timing > belt replacement time, motor mounts etc.) > > Thanks in advance! > > -Jeff > > BTW remove the DONTSPAMMME from the email if you want to reply that way. > I will keep up on the group ;) >
Reply to
Mark Plumlee

Ahh, someone else has been watching Sanford... "Pop, you can stop calling me Kahlunda..."; "Ok son, I guess I'll go back to what I've always called you... DUMMY!"

I just ordered another fan switch from eeuroparts.com. I also ordered a Bentley manual, two heater hoses and a thermostat. $66.50 shipped, gotta like these guys, since the only SAAB dealer in town (Just SAAB - Cincinnat) wanted $78.00 for the "y" heater hose and $65 for the other one. Bastards.

The tranny slipping problem was resolved by adding 1 1/2 qts! of Type-F. I can't believe the thing even had enough pressure to engage at all.

Where in the lower rad hose is the tranny cooler located?

Thanks for the info, and NO I'm not driving it until I figure out what exactly is the problem. I figured for $375US, it was a good deal. Now let's hope that head is OK. (Like I stated though, it doesn't behave like *most* of the cracked heads I have seen before.)

I will keep you guys posted. My parts should be here next Wed. or Thurs. I found a local guy who will replace the head gasket for $550, so I might have him do it. It would be the first time in my life that I've trusted my car to a mechanic (except for dealer warranty stuff and exhaust).

-Jeff

"In Soviet Russia, head gasket replaces you"

"Mark Plumlee" wrote in news:F4SKa.79806$ snipped-for-privacy@clmboh1-nws5.columbus.rr.com:

Reply to
Fordboy0