Re: Direct Ignition Failure

I talked to my dealer about DI failure a few weeks ago - prompted by a previous thread on this topic.

I have two Saabs - a 1997 900NG and a 2001 9-5 Ecopower

Dealer said - the DI on the 900NG tended to fail between 6 to 10 years of use - you can get a a warning of imminent failure by the engine running rough.

The DI on the 9-5 tends to fail between 3 to 5 years of use. Tends to fail after switch off and before start up rather than when running - this is because of the extra use they get during the plug cleaning operation after switch off (the buzzing sound that one can occasionally hear). Usually there is little or no warning of imminent falure. Occaisionally the 9-5 DI will fail while running - in which case put gear into neutral to prevent engine rotating and pumping neat fuel thru the engine into the catalytic convertor and destroying it.

To net it out - I bought a DI cartridge for the 9-5 and carry it around in the boot/trunk like I do a spare light bulbs and wheel and tire

YMMV - this is what I was told - please do not shoot the messenger

Hello all. > > Yesterday my 99 Saab 9-5 would not start. The motor would crank > enthusiastically, but it would not turn over leaving me stranded. I had the > car towed to the dealer, who said the problem was the "Direct Ignition > Cartridge." > > Does anyone know if this is a common problem? > > Thanks > > David > >
Reply to
Derek Wright

OK, so where would I find the DI in a 95 and what does it look like?

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Barry

On top of the engine, in the middle of the cam cover. Big red thing.

I'm not one to discourage DIY, but I think if you need to ask that question, you're going to struggle.

Reply to
Grunff

It sits on top of engine. Found this site

Johannes H Andersen

No, it is not a "big red thing" on the 9-5.

The DI is red on four cylinder engines with DI/APC and Trionic 5 engine management systems. This includes 9000, ng900, and the first model years of 9-3 (9400).

The DI is black on four cylinder engines with Trionic 7 engine management systems. This includes 9-5 (9600) and the latest model years of 9-3 (9400).

The DI is blank aluminium/aluminum on six cylinder engines with Trionic

7 engine management systems. This includes 9-5 (9600).

The DI is four small black cartridges on four cylinder engines with Trionic 8 engine management systems. This includes 9-3 (9440).

See <

>.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

I stand corrected - apologies for my outdated info.

Reply to
Grunff

You might be right but my 95 has cost over £4.5k (throttle body, blown turbo and broken part in the engine) in repairs this year and I suspect my DI cassette is on the way out so if I can DIY fairly easily then I'll take that option.

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Barry

Excellent! Thanks very much.

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Barry

I'm quite sure, however, that Trevor would have found it on top of the engine and got the right part. But thanks Goran for nice info & site. Thanks to Grunff for helpful advice in ng.

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Yep, about £130 in the UK - but I figure that it will go soon and anything is better than breaking down, being towed to a dealer and paying their prices.

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Barry

Hi Trevor, amazing where people pop up isn't it?! :)

I thought I was going to be on the back of a breakdown last friday when I'd just joined the M1 south of Alfreton to lose power.

Turned out it was just the intake hose to the throttle body, electronics did funny stuff, had it been a simpler car, i'd just have had lots of induction roar instead of the engine management deciding to shut down the rest of the engine for me. Great when you're in lane 3 and there's lorries up the inside.

(off topic, you not joining us for the PKI thing with Brian?)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

re:

Sure wish I'd seen this thread before leaving on my vacation in late July...

On the way home (a 2 day drive of 1600 miles) my '97 9000 started "bucking" on heavy throttle application (i.e. passing, going up hills). Didn't know what it was so just went lighter on the foot for a while, but within a few more hours I could tell it was getting worse. By the time I got to Allentown, PA I was sure I was going to have a problem making it all the way home to Florida so I stopped and found a Saab dealer. Unfortunately, being a Saturday, though they were open, they had no Saab techs on. I had to park the car and get a hotel room for two more nights to await a Monday morning examination. Turned out to be the Ignition Cassette. $625 total, $400 something for the part, the rest for labor!

The good news was that the part was in stock and I was back on the road by Noon, that and the fact that I didn't also have the expense and hassle of needing a tow from the highway.

Bad news was when calculating the total cost of the repair plus hotel, I was out nearly $900... Vehicle had only 68K on it.

At least the rest of you are now fore-warned.

Regards,

Bill

Reply to
wgr

When a pricey part is kept in stock, doesn't it make you wonder how often it goes wrong? ;-)

Years ago I ran an Austin Maestro, which had some kind of vacuum detector thingy which failed (in heavy London traffic, wouldn't you know). At the parts dept they were sympathetic: oh yes, they knew about _that_ part. So, did they have any in stock? Little man went away and returned with a cardboard box about 5 litres in size, half full of the thingies. Oh yes, they had them in stock. Seems they sold quite a lot of them.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

but you carry a spare wheel and tyre that cost several hundred currency units

Reply to
Derek Wright

Not really, It's more an indication of a dealer with their stuff together, I should think.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It certainly is!

Ouch! Does this mean that you have ditched your Volvo and bought a 'real' car?

I'll be there - just printing off the manual as I type.

Trevor

Reply to
Trevor Barry