1996/P Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 Cambelt

Just wondering what a sensible interval for these is - my Dad's car (which he's had from 'nearly new') last had it done at 55k, 6 years ago (main dealer job, with tensioners), and apparently they extended the interval from 60k to 80k, with not much mention of "or xxx years, whichever occurs first".

Ordinarily I'd just say "get it done now", but I've heard that the Zetec engines have a particularly good reputation for cambelt life, and ISTR someone saying 10 years is fine if the mileage hasn't been reached, though I've got a feeling that was for later versions of the Zetec engines. It's a 96/P reg Mk1 (as per the title) with the 1.8 Zetec (think it's a 'black top' one).

Also, is the water pump driven by the cambelt or not, on this engine?

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

According to Ford ETIS

Mondeo Zetec: Camshaft drive belt, tensioner and idlers: Every 80 000 miles/5 years - Renew

The only problem we've found with the Zetec engine is the tensioner tends to fail, which leads to cambelt failure

Reply to
A C

Aye, cheers - thought it'd be the standard 5 year time interval as well.

Usual scenario with most cambelts really - what about the water pump? Is that cambelt driven on this engine?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I always replace the tensioners / idlers with the belt - Ford do a kit with all you need. Simple.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Cheers - I was as aware of this before the OP as I am now - any advance on whether or not the water pump is cambelt-driven?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It's not on the Zetec, no.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In message , AstraVanMan writes

Blacktop was introduced in May 98 so its unlikely to be a blacktop unless someone has replaced it.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Nah, it's all original. I was only calling it that due to the big black plastic cover to be honest. I don't know shit from f*ck with these engines.

Reply to
AstraVanMan