Remote "Blipper" Problem

Proud owner of a 9-5, but i have a couple of questions relating to the "blipper" Just today i started the car, and it went through the usual "Test Brake Lights" spiel, and i was expecting the milage left til empty to come up. But instead of THAT, i got a "Change Key Battery" message instead. I assume this is the remote "blipper" First question is will this be just a case of me undoing the holding screws and replacing the battery (batteries?) myself and all will be well again, or will it be a trip to a dealer where the usual rip off occurs, where i pay something ridiculous for THEM to do it for me? Second question is............how the bloody hell does in know that the battery in the remote is low? After all, its not attached to anything, except the keyring

T-L

Reply to
Tamale-Loco

battery in the remote is low? After all, its not attached to

The blipper will 'tell' the car's onboard computer that its battery is low.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Mine went the other day - I mentioned it to Saab and they replaced it for me free of charge. It looks like a standard battery if you unscrew it though

Reply to
The English Patient

battery in the remote is low? After all, its not attached

Clever little blighter, aint it?;) Does it tell the cars onboard computer where it is.....in case i mislay it?:))

T-L

Reply to
Tamale-Loco

Lights" spiel, and i was expecting the milage left til empty

this is the remote "blipper"

and replacing the battery (batteries?) myself and all

occurs, where i pay something ridiculous for THEM to do

If you open the blipper it will almost certainly have a standard lithium or somesuch button cell inside. It'll have a number on it, something like CR2025 or CR2018. Here in the UK, such cells are readily available from high street shops like Boots, camera shops and possibly shops that'll change watch batteries for you. I've found that they are expensive for what you get this way, but you can buy 1 at a time and get just what you need.

You can also buy them in big packs of 10 or so quite cheaply on eBay. I've never tried buying one from a dealer, but there's a chance they'll charge over the odds.

battery in the remote is low? After all, its not attached to

The blipper will have a battery monitoring circuit in. It'll tell the car's computer when the battery is low. Cunning eh?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Lights" spiel, and i was expecting the milage left til

this is the remote "blipper"

and replacing the battery (batteries?) myself and all

occurs, where i pay something ridiculous for THEM to

somesuch button cell inside. It'll have a number on

available from high street shops like Boots, camera

that they are expensive for what you get this way,

never tried buying one from a dealer, but there's a

battery in the remote is low? After all, its not attached

computer when the battery is low. Cunning eh?

The thing thats a slight concern to me, is that will need to be reprogrammed (like the radio), and thets where additional expense might come into it

T-L

Reply to
Tamale-Loco

(like the radio),

If it's like the one for my 2000 9-3, it'll just need re-syncing so the car knows where the key is in its code sequence. That's just done by pressing one of the buttons a few times after changing the battery (in range of the car, of course).

I'd expect later cars to be like that too, though I don't know for sure. I'd tend to try it out. If it doesn't work, you'd have had to take it to a dealer anyway.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp