Riddled with bad grounds

Hi all,

It seems that the damp weather and age of the car have finally taken their toll. My Orca (1989 900 T8S) is riddled with bad grounds, running basic boost, has scatty lights and now the fuelling is sporadic :(

Last night, I experienced a lesser version of "hitting the overboost fuel cut-off" every so often, requiring me to drive in low gears with almost no throttle. From a quick test, I'm pretty sure the fault is with the fuel pump relay (again), which I replaced only a few months ago after a total failure in the middle of nowhere, one pleasure-driving Saturday afternoon. After posting here, one person replied that a failing fuel pump can cause the relay to "over-work" and thus fail more quickly. I think they might well have been right - thanks for the tip, pal!

Anyway, the car is parked up now and will be seen to by my usual garage next week. My question: I need to drive the car about 15 miles through rush hour traffic to my garage, which will take about 30-45 minutes. Is it okay to bridge 30/87 (with the relay removed) with a jump wire for that length of time?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

After posting here, one person replied that a failing fuel pump can cause the

relay to "over-work" and thus fail more quickly.

A failing pump may draw more current, but I don't see how that would do anything beyond raising the temperature of the circuit a little.

You can drive with the jumper wire, but if you crash your pump will not automatically shut off when the engine stops, the main job of the FP relay.

Reply to
Misterbeets

in article BFBB841B.16818% snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk, Paul Halliday at snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 06/12/2005 18:08:

[SNIP] ...

Hi everyone ... Well, after a trip to my mechanics at Aeromotive my Orca is a different beast altogether! She feels "just right" now.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Excellent news!

Al

Reply to
Al

in article f7%nf.61208$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 14/12/2005 20:19:

Cheers, mate! They fixed my fuel flap as well ... Now that's service :o

Reply to
Paul Halliday