SAAB 9-3 CD Player Problems

6 months ago I bought a SAAB 9-3 Convertible, only 72000 miles on the clock. Nice car, the first SAAB I have ever driven. I have no regrets.

However, recently I have begun experiencing problems with the CD player, (single front-loader, no multi-changer). I make plenty of long journeys, three-plus hours at a stretch, I NEED the CD player!

After the first CD has played through, the second CD (or the repeat play of the first) becomes erratic. There's no skipping, but the player produces an intolerable noise which suggest that it cannot read the CD properly - making a sound like static. The CD will stop for 2 or 3 seconds, then start up again playing clearly, only to reduce back to the "static" again after 20-30 seconds. Sometimes the CD will eject with a "CD ERROR" message. This continues without improvement until the car has been turned off for 20 minutes or more.

When the CD is ejected, it has been heated up to 70 degrees C or more, which seems a bit odd.

I have tried driving with the heating off, the night panel engaged, the dash lights on low. Since this problem has only manifested itself in the last 6 weeks or so, I wondered whether it was in fact the lights, now that I need for the Winter darkness.

Anyone have any clues as to what's happening? I don't want to have to install a multi-changer at hige cost just to solve what might have a minor solution.

Thanks,

Garbageman...

Reply to
garbageman

You might want to try playing a full CD in the drive way with the car off and see if it has the same reaction. Perhaps there is a heat leak that is overheating the player when the car is running. If it still happens, it's the player - and the only solution is likely professional repair or replacement.

Reply to
- Bob -

i greatly mistrust the saab sid inbetween every electronic connection. bluntly put, it is a piece of poorly designed electronic garbage, with a fundamentally flawed connected design that goes awry every 2 years.

i wish someone made a kit compatible with the cd changer that gets rid of the saab sid display in some way. my car's 70k miles, and i am on my 3rd sid, and they've been covered by warranty, but i'd rather just see some other solution. it just seems to be in the way of everything, affecting nthings from blinkers to whatever, amazing they seemed to anchor so many functions in a part that breaks easily...

i also get static out of cds played on the dash unit on occasion, it seems to go away. still very annoying. i'd like to swap the whole system out.

Reply to
pablo

You can install a normal deck in the same hole and the SID will be out of the radio picture. Crutchfield.com has adaptors.

Reply to
- Bob -

crutchfield.com tells me my car model has not been researched?

Reply to
pablo

Sounds definitely like a heat problem. Is the second disc as hot as a potato when you eject it?

Reply to
dan

What year & specific model ?

Reply to
- Bob -

2002 9-3 conv se - crutchfield doesn't know....
Reply to
pablo

Oh yes, even if it's only been in the player 30 seconds...

GM

Reply to
garbageman