Saab 9-5 brake life expectancy

I took my relatively new 2003 9-5 in for 20k service and the service manager said the front brake pads need replacing. He noted this is a wear item and not covered by the normal 50k warranty - $300! He indicated that a

20-25k lifespan is normal for late model 9-5 brakes. He said this was because the no longer use asbestos and their design for maximum efficiency, braking, and therefore sacrifice on the longevity. Have I missed the curve on how brakes work today or is he blowing smoke up my tailpipe. I have a 95 900Se conv with 70k that I have yet to replace the brakes on. Any experience on this? 20k just doesnt seem long enough and $300 seems high to change out pads.

davenuc

Reply to
Davenuc

I have a '01 9-5 and we had to replace the brakes at 30K. I forgot how much it cost, but I remember it was high.

Miklos

Reply to
Miklos

Well, sorry to add to the bad news, but expect to have to have the discs changed as well next time, in another 20 or 30K.

But I only had to change the front pads at around 30K, the rear ones lasted quite a bit longer. I didn't mind that, but I was annoyed next service when I had to have the front discs replaced as well as the pads - the Saab dealer said they couldn't be ground flat, and that this life was quite normal. I checked with Saab themselves and that was confirmed.

Of course, if you do lots of country driving with little braking, they will last much longer. It's the constant braking in city traffic that kills them quickly.

--=20 Regards, Peter Wilkins

Reply to
Peter Wilkins

Saw an ad the other day from eeuroparts.com. They have zimmerman rotors and pads for a 9-5, all 4 wheels, rotors, pads, shipping (free) is less than $300. Install it yourself in about an hour and you're all set.

That's what I'm doing in the spring as mine will last about that long.

efficiency,

Reply to
Bill Jackson

I find that hard to believe. If they are using "sacrificial" pads that only go 20K, then the disks should be in good shape. I don't doubt that a dealer/manufacturer who sells $100 disks would tell you that though.

Reply to
Bob

I did too!

I checked with two Saab dealers and Saab Oz, and got the same answer. Apparently everything is softer, including the disks. Or so they say!

One Saab dealer also services mercs and beamers and said their newer models have similar life for both pads and disks as does the Saab.

I couldn't confirm that - can anyone else?

--=20 Regards, Peter Wilkins

Reply to
Peter Wilkins