Saab 9-5 Wagon Elecrical Problems

I have had recurring problems with lights, both headlights and taillights constantly blowing on my 2001 9-5 wagon. Right after I bough the car I had to replace the headlight bulbs, later on it was the tail light(left), then the right and so on. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the bulbs, not cheap bulbs(under warranty). I tried later replacing both bulbs in pairs when they blew as suggested by the dealer, problem continued. Right now I have, again, the right rear light message illuminated. I recently had to replace my battery, related? I don't know. Does anyone know wether this is some sort of factory defect that maybe I missed or that Saab has not admitted to? I have heard other Saab owners say they have had problems with lights blowing. Car is now out of warranty. May be expensive to repair. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks,

Reply to
Joe C via CarKB.com

Measure the bus voltage when your engine is running with minimal load (all electric stuff off) and rev the engine up a bit. It should not go much higher than 13.2 volts. If it does you may have a defective voltage regulator (part of the alternator). High bus voltage will cause excessive current through incandescant light bulbs and subsequently premature death. But they do burn nice and bright while they last,,, ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound

There's *one* thing that kills bulbs fast and that's overvoltage.

That would explain a premature battery death too.

As Fred says. Check the alternator output.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Perhaps related, but probably not - check your suspension. I have a Volvo and Saabs. My Saabs have a stiffer suspensions. How would this remotely relate to blown light bulbs, you ask? The shocks and vibrations from the road were transmitted to the light bulbs, as well as other components. If bulbs are subjected to sharp jolts, they could break. I noticed this because in the early stages the headlights would work and not work as the body took jolts from potholes etc. These jolts were stiff enough to make the CD player skip. Finally the filament would break. Visually inspection showed broken filaments and not melted filaments. I used the same brand (Cibie) H4 bulb from the same lot. In the Volvo, with the softer suspenion they would last 10 years while the Saab would go through a set of bulbs every 6 months.

Joe C via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
ma_twain

I had similar problems with my 1998 9-5SE, blowing headlamp bulbs. Saab replaced some hardware under warranty - I think a voltage regulator - and I haven't blown a bulb since.

--=20 Regards, Peter Wilkins Profanity is the crutch of inarticulate @ssholes

Reply to
Peter Wilkins