saab 9000 se Cooling Fan only runs Hi Speed

Any one know where I can a schematic to help me suss out a problem with a Saab

9000.

I have replaced the 3-wire radiator fan switch but still no Low Speed operation.

If I short the blue wire on the Fan Switch to ground, the fan runs low speed as expected. Could this be a dodgy fan switch?

Reply to
Stevie_mac

as expected. Could this be a dodgy fan

Yep that one I know, age old problem - mine as well...twice...

You can either buy & fit a new resistor pack part ~£50 or try to repair it. This time I'll repair it, the resistors in the pack looks fine, so I think it's the high current diode in the pack. Somewhat tricky to repair since it's a hot component, so soldering may not be appropriate.

Other makes of cars suffer the same problem, the resistors in the resistor pack are of insufficient wattage and must therefore be cooled in the blower housing.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

as expected. Could this be a dodgy fan

Oops, I should read posts before answering...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

no worries. but still, do you know where I can get schematics (do you have schematics you'd be willing to scan & email / post?)

"Johannes H Andersen" > think it's the high current diode in the pack. Somewhat tricky to repair

Reply to
Stevie_mac

schematics you'd be willing to scan & email /

Go here:

navigate via the following links:SaabMaster Site Enter TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS COOLING SYSTEM WIRING INFO FOR TWO SPEED COOLING FANS IN 9000s

The reason I can't give you a direct link to the document is that this site is located on a server with dynamic IP assignment which changes frequently. However, I suggest you bookmark the link I provided above as this site is the best technical resource on the web for SAAB 9000s.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Thanks kindly.

As I suspected, the device is a simple switch. I guess the new one is NG (damn)

Reply to
Stevie_mac