1991 Saab 9000 cooling fan

I have a 1991 9000 with 180K miles. The battery seems to go out every 2 years or so, perhaps because of the hot summers in florida. I was told that it would be a good idea to disconnect the electric fan that runs after the car is off, on hot days. Is this a good idea and if so how do I do it? Of course, I want the fan to run when the a/c is on, but it should not run once the car is turned off. Is there a fuse that i can remove?

thanks-Raj

Reply to
gator_mech

No, it's a very bad idea, and you shouldn't do it.

The fan is not killing your battery. The fan runs on for what, 1 minute max? This will not, in any way, affect battery life.

I think since they last 2 years, it's unlikely that you have a fault, probably that you're just buying poor batteries.

Reply to
Grunff

Agree it's a bad idea to disconnect the fan.

Suggest getting quality batts w/high RC (not CCA). More batt info here

You may also want to confirm that charging system is in peak cond, and that no excessive/abnormal parasitic drains are present (more info on this in NG archives)

Reply to
Lance Morgan

I concur - batteries are far cheaper and easier to replace than an engine which died because it was not cooled properly . . .

Go to Wal-mart. They have batteries for $29.99 - cheap enough to replace every year - at this price it is cheaper than one entre at a nice resturant.

Reply to
ma_twain

p.s.

I'd forgotten about this for the 9000 - see if it applies to your situation

http://216.78.172.20/cooling_system_folder/radfandelrelbull.htm

Lance Morgan

Thanks for your comments. On a hot day when the A/C has been running for a while and I turn the engine off, the fan runs for nearly 10 minutes! While the fan is running and I try to start the engine, it won't. The engine fires up instantly once the fan shuts off. That is why I was thinking about cutting the fan only when the engine is not running. Perhaps my Die hard battery (which cost $120) is not strong enough (not enough CCA, or RC or both).

Regards, Raj

Reply to
gator_mech

What does the engine temp gauge show? High? Normal? Higher than normal? There's obviously a problem with the fan staying on too long, possibly the engine overheating, or the thermostat for the fan isn't working. The fan may be coming on too late or not shutting off when the engine cools down. Get it fixed. It will be a lot cheaper to fix it than to replace the engine or a warped head. The fan cools the engine down and needs to be on for a few minutes after you've been running it on a hot day with AC on.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

Actually, the engine temp gauge is in the normal range. When I have been driving around with the a/c on in crawling traffic, and turn the engine off, the fan runs for a while. (August in Gainesville can be 95 F and very humid) If I try to restart the engine when the fan is still running, it won't start, which leads me to think the battery is not strong enough. The fan is also running while the a/c is on, ofcourse. The engine has never overheated, as far as I know.

thanks-Raj

Reply to
gator_mech