Saab 900T needs new muffler

Muffler is getting close to needing replacement. Can I just go to a Midas or such a place and expect good service? I wouldn't imagine that it would make much difference between them and a dealer (much more $$$) for such a procedure. Any guesses on how much I should expect to pay? Thanks all,

Joel Madison, WI

Reply to
Red Raschke

Depends which exhaust box, but shouldn't cost more than £40 ($65) for the part, and an hour max to replace (more likely 20 mins, but just in case it doesn't go smoothly).

Reply to
Grunff

buy the cat back system and replace it. I have a hand held cutoff wheel (whizzer) and cut it in half at the rear axle. The biggest problem is the nuts on the end of the cat. I cut these off gently with the whizzer down near the threads on the stud then knock them off with a punch. I replace it all with new. You do not want to try to separate the rear part from the intermediate especially on your back! It is worth it.

Tuffy and Midas are not as good IMO as the Walker/Starla available from many places on the web and probably in your town. IN addition, the muffler shops just weld bits on. You get a lifetime warranty on the muffler, but the pipes rust out after 2 requiring the rest of the work again.

$0.02

KeithG

Grunff wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

Take your chances with Midas... I took my 900T in several years back to replace the rear muffler and the bent pipe that goes up over the rear axle. Well, when I got the car back, the axle bumped against the pipe going over bumps, worse of course with backseat passengers. I took it back a number of times and was told a) the pipe they installed was identical to stock, b) I needed new shocks, c) I needed new springs. All bullshit, of course. Eventually they ordered me a stock Saab pipe from Sweden and, lo and behold, it DID NOT hit the axle! I imagine they lost some $$ on me.

Dave

Reply to
Dave