sensonic

I am thinking of buying my first 900 (always liked them).

Is the sensonic system any good?

Thanks

Reply to
sadders

I believe you are referring to the "automated" manual transmission? This is where a computer controls the clutch of a manual transmission. I have not driven a car with this transmission.

I have driven the Volvo Geartr> I am thinking of buying my first 900 (always liked them).

Reply to
ma_twain

I also use to have a Volvo S60-T5 which had the geartronic transmission. I agree that it was pretty poor -- very slow to shift up, although downshifts were usually a lot prompter. I used to use it mainly for controlling descent speeds on inclines.

Audi's has also been comparably slow on the cars I've driven ('00 and '01 A6). BMW has apparently a very snappy auto-manual. I've driven a '03 MINI for awhile w/ auto-manual & it was actually quick & fun (even though in that case the MINI is "emulating" gears, since it's a CVT).

I've been curious about the auto-manual on the new 9-3 Saabs; does anyone have any positive things to say about that? What year did it debut? I was considering getting a '99 or '01 hatchback, but wasn't sure if it would be an option on those (I'll most probably get a manual, but having the option of auto is kinda nice sometimes).

Cheers, Hans

Reply to
Hans Lellelid

I like it (2004 9-3). I hardly ever use it though, but it's kind of fun to play with every once in a while. There's a slight delay when you shift, maybe a second max. In semi-automatic mode, my driving isn't very smooth. I don't know if that's because I don't know what I'm doing or if it's the transmission (I've never driven a stick long enough to learn how to do it right). One thing that is weird and hard to get used to (even if you don't normally drive sticks) is that you can shift with your foot still on the gas. In the right hands, it's probably a cool feature, but for me it's mostly a toy.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

Sensonic was never available here in the US and I have never driven it. It is NOT an automatic with 'manual shifting mode' as is the current fashion. It is a manual transmission with automatic clutch operation. It does work, so I am told, but requires a bit of maintenance to keep it running over time. Basically, I would put it in the same category as ETC/TCS that was fitted to 92-95 9000s: 'Avoid'

$0.02,

KeithG

sadders wrote:

Reply to