"Service Theft Alarm" message in SID - 99, 9-5

I had asked about this a while back and no one had an idea of what this was. Car was in for other service today and I asked them to check.

The report was that the alarm siren, which supposedly has rechargeable batteries in it so that it'll work if you cut the battery cable, has had the batteries go flat. The solution is to replace the siren at a cost of something like $300.

I figured I can press the "clear" button on the SID for a while before this really bothers me, but this sounded suspect so I thought I'd check here. The repair guy said that the batteries in the siren cannot be replaced and thus the entire siren needs to be renewed.

does this make sense?

Reply to
Bill Jackson

It clearly doesn't make sense as you and I would understand it.

OTOH, if the batteries were readily accessible to enable them to be changed as a service item then the theft siren could be readily muted by simply removing them.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yep. It makes perfect sense in a "making the dealer and Saab a large amount of money" kind of way.

If it was mine, the siren would be apart by now - of course it may never go back together again, but at least I'd know whether replacing the batteries was an option...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

In message , Bill Jackson writes

(or
if the wrap messes up the link) Tells you all you need to know,

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

you guys are awesome...

Reply to
Bill Jackson

FYI - the referenced URL rocks!

I bought the solder-in batteries from the web for about $10, took the thing out, apart and back in the car in about a half-hour. Turned on the car, Service Theft Alarm is gone.

hopefully it lasts, but from all indications things look pretty good

Thank you!

Reply to
Bill Jackson