Turning of alarm in '95 Quest???

I recently bought a '95 Quest GXE. The dealer (general used car lot, NOT a Nissan dealer) gave me keys which have a remote unlock thingy on it- not something I've ever needed or wanted, but OK. Has two buttons; the left one has a "A" on it. I ignored that one, and only used the other button to unlock the doors when I've got my hands full.

A couple of weeks ago, the battery ran down & the car had to be "hot-shotted" to get it started. This apparently somehow armed an alarm in the car (which I had no idea existed).

Now, every time I get out of my car, within a few minutes it beeps twice, a little red light on the dash goes on, and if I reopen the door, an alarm goes off. Likewise, if I get IN the car, and don't start it within a short time, the car refuses to start, and the alarm goes off when I try. I fairly quickly figured out that I can turn the alarm sound off, and/or get the car to start, by pushing the same button that unlocks the doors, but I CANNOT figure out how to disarm the damned thing. Pushing the unlock button only turns it off temporarily; pushing the "A" button doesn't seem to do anything except possibly change the interval of time it takes for the alarm to turn on after I leave the car.

This is driving me crazy, because I often have necessity for opening the car door multiple times while it's parked, and it's a HUGE pain in the rear to have to remember to take the remote along every time. I'm also worried that the remote will stop working; it's old and battered, with a hole in the rubber which covers the button that turns off the alarm... and I'm often out in the woods for hours, and in and out of water. If it were to get wet and short out, I'd be SOL, because I'd have no way to turn off the alarm- and as stated, it's not just a matter of an ear-splitting noise, but sometimes of being unable to start the car.

Oh yes- I have an owners' manual, but there's nothing in it about an alarm. :-P Can anybody give me a clue, or point me in the right direction to figure this out?

Reply to
Sionnach