Speedometer Lighting

Sorry to repeat this request but it is a matter of some concern.

Please bear with me.

Hello all,

A minor problem but a real nuisance at night.

Auto Saab 2000 9-5 Aero

Recently, in the middle of a 600 plus mile trip, I lost the light behind the upper right quadrant of the speedometer display.

Probably one lamp gone.

Does any one know what the lamp identity is and, more importantly, what is the easiest, or best way to get at the lamp to replace it?

This is probably the worst lamp to lose in the speedo indication because this is where most highway driving speed is shown

Thanks to all in advance.

Again, my apologies for repetition.

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

It's not good news if the 9-5 is anything like my 2001 9-3 I'm afraid.

You have to take out the whole instrument panel including the radio, the SID, and all the switches. To do that also requires the removal of the steering-column stalk-switches.

It's probably not as bad-a-job as it sounds, but it's still an awful lot of dismantling for a poxy bulb :o(

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

With great apologies to Colin who has able to provide great assistance over the years, I am still bewildered that it will take about four hours of mechanics time to replace one bulb to illuminated the speedo.

It almost feels like this would be grounds for a legal action....Please note... I am in America now and adopting the characteristic litigious mind set.

seriously ... Is there no simple way to replace this solitary lamp?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

Perhaps the 9-5 is a lot worse than the 9-3, but 4 hours sounds like they're taking the piss. It looks like about a 2 hour job on the 9-3 to me (not that I've ever done it, I'm only going by the manual).

I still don't understand why, since they were going to make them such a PITA to get to, didn't they just use LEDs for the illumination. That's just plain weird. If I were more cynical, I'd say they did it deliberately to make work for dealers.

I'd say do it yourself and treat it as a bonding exercise with your car.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp