Synth Oil Chg Interval on a Viggen?

I have a '00 Viggen with 30k that I've been changing every 3k with non-synthetic Castrol but I've been thinking of converting over to Mobil 1 synthetic. What is a good oil change interval with a pure synthetic like Mobile 1?

Reply to
WitchDr

I change it every 5k on my cars, I've been pleased with the results.

Reply to
James Sweet

I mainly look at the colour of the oil. These days I do a lot of motorway driving which is less demanding. I use the cheaper Halfords 5W40 fully synt and change at 4k miles. Then I use Shell Optimax petrol which I believe is good for the engine.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

"Johannes H Andersen" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@sizefitter.com...

"Good" - in what way?

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Why? A good oil with effective detergents will turn black after a relatively short distance. A bad with bad detergents will, compared to the good oil, look more or less as new. With a good oil you can not determine when to change the oil just by looking at its colour.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

High octane petrol. Although knock sensor is working, it has to do less work.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

"WitchDr" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Saab clearly says to only use fully-synth oil.

Reply to
Henrik B.

Why oh why are you using non synthetic oil in a Saab engine ?

Saab *specify* the use of synthetic oils ( both semi and full ). Synthetics have a far better 'lifetime'.

I hear that this 'old fashioned' approach to lubrication is rife in the USA where you have many 'lube shops'.

Not that there's anything wrong with regular oil changes - it's just not necessary with modern oils.

Consider your driving. If it's mainly short runs, change the oil more often. If it's long runs then the oil isn't likely to be contaminated by dirty by-products so much.

I would have no problem with 12k miles on synth on regular long runs.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear