Transmission oil flush

Hi,

I have a 99 9-3 and at my 60,000 service the dealer recommended and I went ahead and flushed (instead of empty and fill) the transmission fluid. I am now almost to 70,000 and took my car elsewhere for another repair and the mechanic pointed out that I needed a transmission service. I did indeed check and the oil looked clearish and brown.

Is this how it should look after 10,000 primarily highway miles or did somehow the dealer not flush it when he was supposed to?

Thanks

Reply to
smf114

Hi,

what was the other repair you took the car in for? why did the mechanic say that you need a transmission service? did you ask him?

i am guessing that you have a manual transmission, that tells me, you should for sure not change the fluid after 10.000 miles and also not yet at 60.000 im driving a 9000, but i cant recall anything about a gearbox oil change interval in the service book

bye

simon

Reply to
Simon Putz

Saab have changed the specification of the transmission oil for all GM 900,

93 and 95 manual gearboxes to counter wear issues on certain components in the box. The two types of oil are not compatable with each other therefore requiring the box to be flushed. A new drain plug with a smaller head {14mm?} is fitted to identify gearboxes that have been serviced. HTH tom.
Reply to
Saabtech

Tom,

Should the color then be a thin brown at 10,000 miles after a flush? Did they possibly mis and match by mistake?

smf114

That sounds about the right colour, the service bulletin rates the need to flush the box before being changed to the new type of oil as "Very important", If the work was done by a saab dealer you can be confident that the job was done properly, they have nothing to gain by not doing so. Regards Tom.

Reply to
Saabtech