Trip Computer on 2001 9-3 SE?

My father-in-law has just bought a 2001 or 2002 9-3 Diesel SE and unfortunately it did not come with a manual. The trip computer is confusing him!

There seems to be 2 parts to the display. One, on the right of the display is the usual Temp etc. But the one on the left that is operated by the (-) or dot button he don't have any clue how it works! It seems to have a speed selector too, would this be cruise control?

Can anyone enlighten me or him as to how this works?

Also, on the display there are several rows of dead and dull pixels. Can this be fixed?

TIA Jonny

Reply to
BF

I've heard that the pixel thing is a common problem. My 99 9-5 has the same problem. I was told that I would need to replace it, but here in Oz that doesn't surprise me. I'd be interested to know if it can be done though.

Reply to
Starman

This link posted by 'murphwiz' in another string, has the info of how to do it yourself. I think I'm going to try...wish me luck!

Starman

Well, did it work???? Good luck if you haven't tried yet!

Jonny

Reply to
BF

Yes, you can replace the display.

I bought a 2002 9-3 SE two weeks ago (from a SAAB dealer) and I will have the display replaced next week (a warranty issue). There are at least three vertical rows that only work intermittently.

Regards from Bengt in Sweden

Reply to
Bengt Österdahl

No, it isn't. The cruise control is operated by the knob on the lever on the left side of the steering column.

The function SPD W in the display meens SPeed Warning. The manual is a little unclear about its use but I think it's used to set a speed value and will give you an acoustic warning if you exceed that speed.

Regards from Bengt in Sweden

Reply to
Bengt Österdahl

Exactly. You set a speed, the computer beeps if you exceed that speed. I usually have mine set for 75mph, the speed at which tickets get expensive around here. I don't usually drive faster than that, but on open roads, you sometimes lose track. My daughter resets it to

70 whenever she's in the car (cute kid).
Reply to
Retro Bob